Chapter 29

"A flash drive? That's what you were almost killed for?"

"Aurora, it's not just a flash drive—"

"Anyone could've brought it, it was—"

"Don't interrupt me," he says. I roll my eyes in response. "I said, it's not just a flash drive, it's a method of communication, an encrypted channel. Someone needed to pick it up and I couldn't risk—or trust—anyone but myself."

"I can't believe you doubted me, Jay," Deli says. "I have always had your back."

"I'm sorry, Deli, but I knew the traitor was someone I wouldn't think twice to trust."

"Guys, focus. How and when will we contact the rebels?" I say.

Jay presses his lips. That doesn't look promising. "I have no idea. We didn't get to that part. I just took the drive when we shook hands and that was it. I don't even know how to use it."

"Which is where your hacker girlfriend comes in the picture, right?"

"Exactly."

Wait, what?

"Hold on a sec, what do you mean by that?"

"I'm gonna give you the flash drive and you're gonna figure out how to use it and communicate with the rebels. Piece of cake."

That most definitely doesn't sound like a piece of cake. I nod, although I'm skeptical of the whole situation and not sure whether I'll be able to use the flash drive.

"Hannah? Can you get me the drive?" Jay calls. I wonder why he left it with her. I should do my investigations around Doctor Hannah and understand why he counts on her so much.

She comes in with a blue flash drive. "Sure, you're gonna tell me what it's for now?"

"For your safety, I prefer not to."

"Oh, come on." She rolls her eyes. "I hate you, Jay."

"Believe me, Hannah, I'm trying to protect you. You don't need to get involved in this any further."

Very well, whatever you see fit." She turns around to leave. "Anyway, if you do something as dumb as last time, let me know."

"Thank you, doctor."

Deli speaks after the doctor leaves. "Aurora, I think you should get your laptop and come here. The three of us should be together when we're working on rebel stuff, don't you think?"

"Yeah, I agree," I reply. "I'm gonna go get it."

I run to my room to bring the laptop and return to the medical wing. Deli isn't here and Jay's hands are shaking. He tries to bury them into the mattress but he's too late, I saw them.

"You okay?" I ask, sitting on the edge of the bed. "And where's Deli?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine, turn the laptop on, Deli is getting something and she'll return."

"Sure you don't want me to call Doctor Hannah?"

He rolls his eyes. "I'm fine, Aurora."

I turn the laptop on and start investigating the flash drive. It contains an encrypted channel which allows the user to send and receive messages to other users of the channel, just as Jay said. I place my hand on his arm to catch his attention and it almost burns me.

"Dammit, Jay, you're on fire," I say, calling on Doctor Hannah against his pleads.

Hannah comes in and examines his vitals, then tells him to get up and take off the gauze on his wound. I don't like the concerned look on her face but I stay silent and let her do her work.