Chapter 9

I finally reach the ITD after being lost for God knows how long. Los Angeles HQ is more of a labyrinth than a government building.

"Sorry I'm late," I tell Kailee. "It's so hard to navigate this place."

She smiles warmly. "That's true. There's a map application kind of thing for HQ, install it on your phone."

"Will do." I step towards my laptop, and she starts giving me today's lesson.

After we're finished, I install the map and take a look. There are many sleeping rooms and offices here. There's also a ton of halls for conferences, dining, and parties.

And there's a garden.

I've always had that odd sensation that I'm meant to live in a garden, with all the flowers, birds, and trees, but gardens on the moon are artificial and disgusting. I rush into the direction of the garden but the guard standing on its gate stops me.

"Can I see your ID?" He says, so I hand him my ID. "I'm sorry, Moon visitors aren't permitted here."

"What? Why?" I ask, squeezing the ID in my hand.

"These are the rules, there's nothing I can do. I'm sorry."

I need to ask Jay about this personally. Who created that rule?

Absolute bullshit.

I head to his office and pound the door vigorously, then slam it open.

"Hey, I hope you're not busy," I say. Then I realize that's ridiculous, there are people in there. Of course, he's busy. "Sorry, I'll come back later."

My face is on fire. My anger dissolves into embarrassment in a moment.

"Come in. These are my friends, Wayde and Katia," he says.

I. Cannot. Believe. It.

Katia Goldman. My favorite author on Earth. Here, in front of me.

"Holy hell, you're Katia Goldman," I state the obvious.

Her face lights up. "I've got fans!"

"Of course you do, you're my favorite author ever!"

She's dazzled. "Why thank you, sweetheart."

"You never told me she was your friend!" I tell Jay.

"She's not that famous, and right now you're unnecessarily boosting her ego," Jay replies.

"Uh, yeah, you guys continue the celebrity talk without me, no problem," Wayde says.

"You're not that important, mate," Jay says.

"I'm sorry," I tell Wayde, flustered. "Just got carried away."

"It's fine, I'm just the Leader of the neighboring dome—no biggie—but you focus on my author girlfriend that writes unrealistic shit, way to go."

"I don't write unrealistic shit!" She snaps.

"Of course not, my love. You're an astounding writer," he says, kissing her cheek. She deflates.

"That's how he keeps her in check," Jay says. "The little kisses do the trick."

"Not just little kisses, but all types of gestures. I base most of my book boyfriends off his cheesiness," Katia says.

"I hope that's not true," Wayde says. We all laugh.

"You needed something?" Jay asks me. I came here for a purpose, and it wasn't fangirling.