Allergies - Flumptober Day #2 - INK

***All right, all! For Flumptober Day #2, the prompt is just that the oneshot be from an AU. I considered several of my current/future AU's for this, but finally settled for a oneshot from the "I Never Knew" series.

~ SPOILER ALERT ~ If you HAVEN'T read "I Never Knew" or "That One Girl" and intend to read those books, this oneshot has some serious spoilers for both books in it. That being said, here's your backstory:

Nya plans to run away from the team after her brother's wedding (Kailor). Because of an accident in "That One Girl", the whole team knows her plans. She left them all without notice for a few days, just to clear her head. When she met up with the team again, Kai grounded her for a month. She never talks about running away anymore, and though Kai still suspects she plans on leaving, he's now willing to leave her under the supervision of others. That's why she's at the monastery right now...

And she and Jay have been broken up for almost three months now.

Just so you know, this occurs at the same time as the epilogue of "That One Girl" <3***

***(Nya's POV)***

I stir my soup on the monastery stove, inhaling the delicious scent of mixed vegetables. It's been a long while since I've had anything other than Kai's cooking – well, except for when Skylor sneaks me noodles from her restaurant, but those are getting old. It feels nice to finally have variation in my diet.

Why have I missed out on the world of delicious food? Because I got myself grounded. For a month.

In hindsight, it probably wasn't the best idea to decide to run away for a few days to clear my head. I just needed a chance to cool down – I felt betrayed by nearly everyone I knew, and Jay wasn't helping things by pressuring me to accept his feelings toward me. I needed space.

Of course, I had to come back – I promised Jay I wouldn't leave for real until I graduated high school and got through Kai and Skylor's wedding. But when Kai found me, he essentially put me on lockdown. I don't blame him – he just doesn't understand why I have to go.

No one knows for sure that I plan on leaving now. It's a well-kept secret of mine – well, unless Skylor reads my mind and figures it out. I've kind of been avoiding her lately, though. It stinks, but I have to do it.

Kai essentially told me he's locking me up here at the monastery the night he and Skylor go on their honeymoon, just to make sure I can't get away. And he hired Cole to babysit me the entire time. He said he would've hired Jay, but Jay already follows me around everywhere. No need to pay him.

I guess I'll be leaving after the honeymoon. Unless I can get past Cole and Jay...

No, I can't do that to Kai. I can't just leave while he's gone. He'd never forgive me for that.

But then, if he really knew me, he wouldn't forgive me for a lot of things.

"Nya!" Jay yells from somewhere inside the monastery.

Oh, boy. What now? It's not like I don't care about him, but he's been obsessing over me lately. I think the problem is that I care about him too much, and I don't like seeing him this infatuated with one thing – one person. I don't want him to fall so hard that he loses himself.

"There you are," he exclaims, coming up behind me in the kitchen. "I have a surprise for you."

I frown. "A surprise, huh?" I don't like the sound of this.

"Mm-hmm." He sets a box down next to me and places his hands on my waist, resting his chin on my shoulder. "You wanna open it?"

His breath on my cheek makes me inhale sharply, and I pull away from his touch. "Jay...um...remember that we have boundaries?"