Truth or Dare and First Kisses

August 2003

Kaelyn's Perspective

It was the Saturday before the first day of school. I'd be starting my freshman year at Dulaney, where Alex and Jack would be sophomores. I was nervous about starting, so Alex had pitched a tent in his backyard and we were "camping" to take my mind off of it. We had popcorn and candy bars and a big bottle of root beer that we were sharing. I tried not to think about my lips being where Alex's had been.

"Come on, Miller Lite, high school's not that bad. Plus, I'll be there to look out for you," Alex said.

I rolled my eyes. "Can't look out for me when you have your tongue down some cheerleader's throat."

He scoffed. "I'm not that bad!"

"Just keep telling yourself that. I mean, Jack and I don't call you Gaskank because you're such a pure choirboy."

"Hey, shut up, okay?" He tossed a piece of popcorn at me.

"What? Ashamed?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Truth or dare."

I laughed. "What are you, a twelve year old girl?"

"No, that would be you." He unwrapped a Snickers bar and took a bite.

"Uh, I'm fourteen, genius." I flicked his forehead.

"And a half?" He mocked.

"Shut up." I laughed, hitting him with my pillow.

"So, what's it gonna be? Truth or dare."

I sighed. "Fine, I'll bite. Truth."

"Would you rather have to streak naked or have your thoughts appear above your head in a little bubble?" He asked.

I blushed, knowing that if the latter could happen, Alex would be able to see how cute I thought he was and how I liked his hair now that it had grown out, even though it sometimes obscured his warm, chocolatey brown eyes and...focus, Kaelyn!

"I'd just have to streak once?" I asked.

"Uh huh." He took another bite of his Snickers.

"Then I pick that. I wouldn't want everyone knowing what I'm thinking."

"Why not?"

"Because...that'd make things harder."

He frowned. "But you wouldn't have to worry about that around me, 'cause we tell each other everything."

My stomach lurched. Did he know? Was that why he had asked me to play, so he could get confirmation? And then what? He couldn't possibly...

"Yeah...yeah of course we do," I said finally.

His frown deepened. "You don't sound sure."

"I am," I said.

"Miller..." he whined.

"Gaskarth..." I mocked.

He threw himself back onto his sleeping back. "I just feel like you're pulling away from me."

"That's crazy," I said.

"Is it?" He asked.

"Truth or dare," I said.

He sighed, realizing I wasn't gonna tell him shit. "Truth."

"Pussy," I said.

"You picked it first!"

I laughed. "Yeah 'cause I'm a girl. Now, have you ever practiced kissing in a mirror?"

He blushed. "Yes."