QuickSilver

A/N: I'm just going to bomb you today with old fics

—————

The microwave blows out soft puffs of air, making Marco cringe as he backs away. His feet tap aimlessly against the cool tile, but he doesn't flinch, his bare feet already used to the biting chill of his kitchen floor in the mornings. The microwave blares out an alarm after the prolonged silence, and Marco glares at it. The sound is sharp and cuts into his cranium, he rubs his forehead with one hand while his dominant one reaches to grasp the handle and opens it.

The smell is almost heavenly, and his stomachs gurgles loudly from the prospect of being filled. He quickly grabs the cloth he'd set aside moments prior. He cups it in a way that covers both of his hands so he won't be burned. He reaches inside of the microwave to grasp the plastic cup, making sure none of the liquid escapes. Despite this attempt, some of it still manages to land on Marco's hands and he winces from the slight burning sensation.

He quickly sets it by his sink and shuffles in the drawer beneath it to find a fork. When he finally finds it, he touches the cup to test if it's still too hot for him to eat. Deciding that he still needs to use the cloth after all, he takes the cup and his fork over to a part of the counter with a few stools tucked away underneath it. After drawing out one of the stools, scratching against the tile floor, he settles down. Absently, he notices that it's started to rain outside. The water pelts against the glass with surprising force. Marco wonders if it'll start hailing soon.

He sighs in disappointment, he had planned to go outside today; paint a rather nice place in the forest near a glade he'd found a couple days ago. It looks like those plans would have to be postponed; he wasn't going anywhere in this sort of weather. It might not be bad to paint the rain from one of his windows though...

Absently humming a tune to himself, he took the lip of tinfoil atop of his dinner between two fingers and carefully peels it off. He sets it besides his cup, telling himself he'd throw it away later, and picks up his fork. Twirling the noodles with his fork in a languid manner, he reaches out to his phone that's plugged into the wall and presses a button. The phone immediately gave a little beep and starts relaying the messages he had missed.

"Hi Marco, It's been a while-." -beep-

He presses the button again.

"What's up Marco? Everbody's wondering when our favorite mother-hen will resurface-." -beep-

He silences his annoyance with another click of a button.

"Hello, It's me, Izou, we're worried about you Marco. We saw that there was a flood near where you live on the news, please just call us back to let us know you're okay darling." -kachak-

He's taken aback by the urgency in Izou's tone, not having expected a message like that. He hadn't even realized there had been a flood, granted he gets lost in his work sometimes... well, maybe more frequently than he likes to admit.

He glances back out the window worriedly, a bit more apprehensive about the rain. His home hasn't been flooded yet, but with the heavy rain, there's a high chance that it can happen. Disconnecting the gas and electric supplies might be a safe bet, just in case his home does get flooded. Having a flooded house is better than having one that explodes, after all. He'll also have to double check if he still has his emergency-aid kit, his flashlight, oh, and he'll need batteries....

It's going to be a long morning. Or afternoon? Glancing at his watch told him that the time was currently thirteen hundred hours, so an hour after noon. He's mildly surprised and berates himself for sleeping so long.

He quickly sips away the rest of his noodles, and stands up to walk closer to the phone so he can dial Izou's number. Unfortunately, the moment he tries to hit the call button, the lights are short-circuited and he's left in the dark.