My Saviour

The first time it happens, Liam's fifteen and terrified. He's only had his soulmark - Zayn Malik, written along his hipbone in dreadful handwriting - for about a week, but he should've known it wouldn't take long for people to find out. After all, it is Prince Zayn Malik who they're talking about.

The Kidnappers have him tied to a chair and gagged, though thankfully not blindfolded. The back of his head is bleeding from where they hit him with the hilt of a knife, but otherwise he's unharmed. It takes two hours for the prince to find him.

When he does, he comes in with his sword and - almost single handedly - harms or kills all of the kidnappers. Show-off, Liam thinks while rolling his eyes.

The Prince takes the gag out of his mouth and unties him, and then gives a blinding smile. He opens his mouth, but Liam beats him to it.

"Don't think I am impressed by this little display." He says, standing on slightly shaky legs. "I wouldn't even be here if it weren't for you."

And then stomps away without another word, leaving Prince Zayn standing in the middle of the room, mouth still open, with a confused frown on his face.

*

The second time it happens, Liam's less afraid. It has only been a few months since the first time he got kidnapped, and it goes about the same; they hit him in the back of the head and then take him to another location while he's passed out.

He's tied to a chair again, and, this time, not gagged, but blindfolded. Liam rubbed his wrists raw trying to get out of the ropes by the time the Prince arrives, with more guards this time.

He takes off the blindfold with the same blinding smile as the last time and unties Liam's wrists. Liam opens his mouth again, but this time, the prince beats him to it.

"I know, I know, you're not impressed by me saving you," he has a dimple. "Even if it's the second time this has happened."

Liam momentarily forgets how to speak. Heat rushes to his face, and he shakes his head to clear it.

"I wouldn't need saving if it weren't for you." He points out.

"Technically, you wouldn't need saving if you were more careful about getting yourself kidnapped." Zayn says. Liam glares tightly, and he laughs. "It's alright, love, I'll always be here to save you."

It makes Liam's cheeks absolutely burn - which drags a lazy, smug grin from the Prince - and Liam struggles for words.

"I - I - you-" He begins, and Zayn slips his sword back into his sheath.

"Cat got your tongue?" He asks cooly.

Liam glares.

"This is your fault, Malik." He snaps, and then walks away.

*

It's - thankfully - more than a few months before he is kidnapped again. It's enough time that Liam is sixteen now, and, somewhow, thinks himself more prepared for this. This time, however, it doesn't stop with a knife-hilt to the head. Liam's lost most of his fear by then, which means he doesn't have much incentive for keeping his mouth shut. He earns a bloody mouth and a black-eye for his troubles.

When the Prince comes - not to save him, because Liam is not some maden in need - his smile fades when he sees Liam's face.

"They hurt you?" he says, running careful fingertips along the edges of Liam's split lip. It sends a shiver through Liam.

"I'm fine," he says stiffly. He is, really. It's no worse than he's gotten because of fights at school. "Would you mind untying me, oh my saviour?"