Chapter 8 Part 2

Patience could tell that Valrie was itching to say something. She did remain silent as they left Moriarty's office, even as the saloon owner offered 'free cock, or pussy, or both' for the rest of the day. Patience didn't even turn him down, feeling the growing anger from Valrie as they left the saloon.

The low-lying mist had dissipated, somewhat, and the paths and trails of Megaton were growing more crowded as they pushed their way down the ramp, passing the Brass Lantern, and then onwards towards the ramp leading to Craterside Supplies. When the crowd eased a little, Valrie grabbed Patience's arm, turning her around.

"Are you out of your fucking mind?" Valrie's eyes maintained a constant movement, ensuring no-one stopped to listen. "I've told you that fucker can't be trusted and still you go right ahead and decide to take his fucking bodyguard with you. You are dumber than a feral ghoul with its ass on fire!"

"It's alright. I can handle Vincent." Somehow, she knew this for a fact. The man had training, that was clear. He was also strong and not stupid, at least, not that stupid. Yet, she knew she could beat him. Knew for certain. "Besides, he won't do anything until he has what Moriarty wants. After that, yeah, he'll probably try something, but I'll be ready.

"Oh! You know that for a fucking fact?" Valrie reached up and rapped her knuckles on Patience's forehead. "Wake up, dumb ass! Moriarty does nothing for free! And don't go thinking that he thinks getting him this 'information' is payment. It is not!"

"I'll be fine!" Patience found it cute that Valrie seemed worried. She may come across as gruff and vulgar, but there was a heart to the woman. "You just go on back to Wintergreen. Make sure he hasn't burned down your store."

Valrie rubbed her chin, walked away a few paces and then turned back. It was obvious she was fighting some kind of dilemma. She tugged at her coat, then adjusted her football helmet. Lifting her finger, she seemed to be about to say something and stopped. Looked both ways at people passing by.

"I'm not going home." Valrie grimaced at Patience's raised eyebrow. "I'm coming with you. God damn it! I can't let you go in there alone with that man's gun-for-hire. And don't think I'm doing it for fucking free! It'll cost you! I don't know what, but you'll pay for it somehow."

"Oh, Valrie! I didn't know you cared." Patience tried to hide the little smile.

"I don't! I'm protecting an investment. I've put a lot of time into you and I don't want it going to waste." Valrie avoided Patience's eyes, looking anywhere else. "I swear, i'll make certain that, if I die following your stupid ass into the Ruins, I'll make sure Wintergreen hunts you down!"

"He'll only forget." Patience couldn't help but chuckle.

Valrie's bravado lessened, a little. She looked up at Patience and shared a wry smile. Patience had only known the woman for a few days, yet she felt they had been friends for much longer. Valrie would never admit to it, this was obvious. Patience got the impression that Valrie had a nomadic sense of friendship. Seeing people only for short amounts of time, moving on. But the older woman was infectious and had a certain dirt charm about her.

"You're arm's blinking." Valrie pointed at the Pip-Boy on Patience's arm. A green light on the screen blinking in a short, slow rhythm.

Lifting her arm, Patience cycled through the options on the Pip-Boy, passing the 'Status', 'VATS', 'Data' and 'Map' options to the blinking 'Radio' option. Selecting that, she saw a new channel, labeled 'Unknown', blinking on the green screen. Raising an eyebrow towards Valrie, she selected the option.

"Oh, hey! Uh, hi!" It was Moira's voice. "I'm hoping this worked and it's Patience listening. If not, sorry, it's all a misunderstanding. If it is Patience, hello! I've been looking through the data I got from your Pip-Boy and you should come see me ... Oh, it's Moira, by the way. From Craterside Supplies. Moira Brown. Uh, see ya soon! Bye, bye, bye-bye, byeee"