Chapter 13 Part 2

Patience, enjoying the respite from the high intensity of the last hour or so, leaned back against the wall, staring up and out of the Metro entranceway. A tight set of stairs led up and she could see the nearest, partially destroyed, building not far away. Before that building, she could see the remains of a structure reaching upwards. Four iron legs ending in a circular frame that held a large brass globe. A representation of the Earth, with a stylised rocket flying around it.

The building she could see used to have lettering up the side of the wall, now fallen away and lost to time. Beside where the letters had sat, Patience could see a statue thrusting out from the corner. An enormous angel, wings sweeping back towards the building, wearing an ancient warrior's helmet, staring down where once crowds wandered beneath its empty gaze.

"What happens next?" She realised she had almost smoked the entire cigarette in a couple of breaths and flicked the butt at the ghouls beyond the gate, causing their hisses to rise in tone for a second. "How much further to go?"

"We have about a block to go to hit another Metro station, pass through that and then about another three blocks overland to Vault-Tec HQ. Easy." Vincent still found Gia's attempts at smoking to be amusing.

"You mean we have to go through that again? I don't want to see another fucking ghoul in my life. No offence." Those last words, Valrie aimed at the growling monstrosities beyond the gate, holding her hand up in mock apology. "We almost didn't get out of this fucking shit-hole. You nearly died."

"Nah. The other station is clear." He dipped his head and reached for his rifle, interlocking his fingers around it and leaning his weight upon it. "After that, I can't guarantee anything."

"How do you know the other station is clear?" Gia had dropped her cigarette to the side, hoping no-one saw that over half of it still remained. Patience smiled at the green-ish tint to her complexion.

"Because I helped clear it myself." Vincent looked uncomfortable, standing up and facing away from the others. "A while back, but it should still be clear."

"Another job for your rat bastard boss?" Valrie couldn't help but make the dig.

"No. Before I started working for Moriarty." He slung his rifle over his shoulder and checked his .45. "We should get moving. We don't want to be caught outside at night."

Patience jumped up, checking her rifle again. She considered for a second and then tapped Vincent on the shoulder, passing him her last spare magazine. She hoped they wouldn't need to use any more ammunition. There didn't seem to be anywhere to get any more. Even the raiders Gia had once hung around with had run out of ammo. She thought for a second and flipped the RoF to 'single'. Bullets were now a precious resource.

Gia helped Valrie to stand and all four of them tried to mentally prepare for the next stage of their journey. Soon, Vincent began to lead them up the stairs towards the street and then on towards the next Metro station a block away.

Before his head even came in line with the top of the wall of the station steps, Vincent found himself blown to the side. An explosion on the other side of the wall sent a shockwave rippling outwards, causing their ears to ring and their insides to shake. Vincent shook his head and pushed himself upwards. Shaken, but unharmed.

Then they heard bullets flying. Lots of bullets. They pinged and spattered all around, sending metal fragments and shards of broken concrete down to shower upon the four travellers. They weren't the targets, this seemed certain to Patience. She pushed Valrie and Gia's heads down, shielding them with her own body, and ducking her own head, waiting to survive the onslaught and wondering who was shooting at who.