Previously...

Penny

Even though it was early in the morning,I was wide awake. I felt sick but excitment roll in my body all at once. I was going to see my mom. I wondered if she would even remember me. Would she be angry that I never contacted? My accent had faded away because of New York,but it was still lightly there. Would she be surprised that I had blue streaks in my hair? Pierced my ears twice?

"Penny?" My dad asked,his rough hand clasped over mine. I looked at him. Although he was smiling,there was a wall that refused to show how scared and anxious he was. I smiled at him and leaned against his shoulder. The ride to the hospital was silent and when I got out,the cold hair pierced my skin,goosebumps all over my arms. I pulled my cardigan around me more firmly.

"Cold,dearie?"

I spun around. Sitting by the sidewalk was an old frail women,who was bent down with age,her hair pure white. Her eyes were lined and wrinkled but her irises were brighter than any child's. A shade of forget-me-not blue.

"I-a little bit." I looked down. A blanket had been laid before her,with beautiful necklaces,bracelets and rings.

"They're beautiful." I mused. She gave me a wise smile.

"Handmade."

"Wow." Her wares were no joke. "They look so much more amazing then the other stuff I see in stores." I was about to ask my dad if we could buy some,when she reached up,her palm outstretched. "Your hand,dear."

My hand? Something in me told me not too,but I stared into her perfect eyes. They weren't human,they couldn't be. But before I knew it,my hand was in hers. I was shocked. Despite the state of her skin,her hand was as soft as a baby's. Her eyes closed for a few seconds,before she let go and scooped something from the blanket into her hands.

"You have a dark past," she stated,calmly straightening her jewels "and yet you're soul is still pure and simple. You do not know how much people around you truly need you. Do not push away those you love,for that is your fatal flaw."

I shivered,and it wasn't from the cold wind.

"I've indulged myself in these crafts for ten years," she continued "and I'm very used to being called a fraud. But you have a good soul and heart. Here." she placed two rings into my palm. Two perfect,silver bands. My eyes went wide.

"I-these much cost a fortune."

She chuckled "In our world,everything costs a fortune. Family. Sacrifice. Love. Fate has a way of bringing people together,but only for a reason. Fate,karma,destiny..it's all tied up. Things don't happen without a reason."

I opened my mouth,unsure of what to say. All I knew it that these rings are not to be given for free "I-I'm paying. Wait." I rushed to the other side of the car,totally forgetting about my dad. He was standing there,just staring at the hospital.

"Dad?" I asked. He turned to me,his eyes misty.

"I-shall we go?" he asked,as if nothing was wrong. I was about to tell him about the kind old lady,when my jaw dropped. I had to pace back to the same spot where I met her.

She was gone. Vanished into thin air.

"No way." I muttered,wondering if I had ever even met her. I glanced at the beautiful rings. I had. And a part of me knew that I would never see her again. Pocketing them,I nodded to my dad as we set off.

Nurses and doctors everywhere,some with clipboards and some rushing by so quickly I couldn't even look at their faces. My dad told me to wait for a minute as he walked up to the receptionist,saying something in french. I took the time to look around. There were patients sitting quietly,as they were being called one by one. There was a little girl who seemed to be facinated by my hair. Worried that her mother would probably be prejudiced and pull her daughter away,the elderly woman simply chided her daughter not to stare like that. The little girl looked up at me shyly as I smiled at her.