EVERDAIR - YOU'RE NOT ALONE

Katniss rolls her eyes. This press conference made it possible to bore her already during the first five minutes. That was a record for this press tour. Always interviews, smiling, waving, reading cards out, talking to people, act nice. And the worst, play a couple with Peeta.

Not that she didn't like him, he was a good guy and great friend. But he truly loved her and she couldn't answer it. And through all this acting he might get wrong hopes,she could never be with him for real. But neither could she bare to loose him. No, she won't allow that thought again.

"Miss Everdeen, excuse me, Miss Everdeen! "
Katniss rushed up, forcing that fake smile on her face again.
"Yes, sorry. My thoughts drifted away. What was the question? ", she asked.
"We saw my dear", Ceasar's voice lulls her mind, "So now before I ask you again, I'm sure we all want to know what you were thinking about... "

Katniss brightens her smile, as if she wanted it to compete with Ceasar's.
"Of course! As you know, in one of your last shows my amazing Peet", she looks at him and puts as much fake love in her gaze as possible. She's sure it will begin to overflow any second. But she continues without letting anyone see how disgusting this is for her. "He proposed to me... " She sighs. "And last week, we secretly visited our wedding place!" She looks into nowhere, her gaze dreamy and drifting away.

"Oh, now that's something we all can understand, I think! ", Ceasar looks into the audience, waiting for approval. As the crowd cheers, he continues :"This time we'll let you get away with it. " He winks at her.
"But now the question : they announced that in this year's hunger game only one winner will be allowed. But you and your soon-to-be-husband are the only ones from your district who will be allowed to get reaped. What are you going to do? "

This time Katniss doesn't have to act. She bursts into tears. She didn't know that! Yes, she and Peeta had to go, but she hoped the rules would be changed...
She can't loose him! But she will! He won't let her die, she won't let him die! But one of them will...
What should she do? They can't die both, and if it's the only thing she can do, than she'll give her life for him.

Helpless she looks up at Peeta, she can see the same emotions in his eyes. He thinks the exact same thing. But he does something, she didn't expect, never even thought about.
He leans over to her, strokes her back and looks at Ceasar.

"We all know it's hard ", he says, "But you what we don't know is the future of our baby. "

***

"Why did you do that?! It's an disaster!! ", Katniss screams. She has yelled at Peeta for about fifty minutes now. Still she can't manage to calm down. How could he?! It wasn't his life, not even his body he made a decision about! She burns in anger. And despair. What will happen now?

She sinks onto the floor, no words left, all tears cried. Peeta knows he should leave her alone now, so he silently walks out of the room.

***

It knocks.
Katniss rushes up. She wipes her eyes and looks at the clock. She really slept right there on the floor for five hours.
It knocks again.
She shakes her head and stands up.
Gladly it's Effie.

"Katniss, you can't just stay here and... Oh no, don't give me that look! If you're angry then it's not my fault, so don't be mad at me. I may suggest you to go down in the training center. You could lose your anger. It's almost midnight, so there should be no one you have to talk to. "
Katniss sighs.

She nods slowly and tries to smile so Effie wouldn't have to worry about her. She may be a little diva but definitely got a good heart. And she really cares about Katniss.
"You could be right. Maybe I'll feel better after I beat the shit out of some mannequins ", she answers. Then she quickly hugs Effie, only for a few seconds, barely counting as a hug. But still, she shows how thankful she is.
Then she leaves the room.