Chapter I

"Lia?" Altair asked me as I got up from the bed I remembered being in once. We were back at the Argyle family mansion. It was as if I had awakened from a bad dream and everything that happened in the past few months didn't happen. It was as if the raid from the VHO never happened here. All the furniture was where it should be. The door to the bathroom from when maid Grace attacked me was put together and as I headed downstairs everyone was walking about with no worries. Despoina was gliding across the room as Zheada walked the halls as if she owned it. Idris sat languidly on the couch sipping blood from a crystal glass and then the person I was searching for appeared right before my eyes. 

"You're finally up," Altair said with a bit of excitement in his voice. 

"What's wrong with me? I feel like I just hit my head really hard and..." I trailed off what I was about to say when I realized I could not see my reflection. I turned my head in a panic to Altair. "Why can't I see myself?"

"Lia you're one of us." Being a vampire was not part of my plan. I wanted to have a family and now none of that was possible because of what I was. I rushed to the mirror examining if I had really turned one. Seeing was believing but in this case, feeling was believing. I felt warm sensations run through my hands like pins and needles. I was having an anxiety attack.  Who knew a vampire could still feel this emotion.  "It's okay Lia. I'm here for you. Relax. I got you." Altair reassured me as I desperately searched for my reflection. 

"What's wrong with me?" I asked Altair as he tried to yank my body away from the mirror. "I don't exist. This isn't real. It can't be."I stared at my hands noticing I still had the scar from when I got cut open by the elder vampire and then I looked at the mirror. My grip on the mirror was so tight I broke it. This large heavy mirror I broke. I didn't know my own strength. Altair came up to me and cradled me in his arms on the ground. I was trembling. 

"You are feeling too much of everything. You have to learn how to control your emotions." Altair told me as I looked into his Amysth eyes and then I finally saw it. I saw my reflection in them. It all came back to me now. It was as if I was having Deja vu. Altair turned me into a vampire because I killed myself. I must have been so overwhelmed with emotions when I found what I was I passed out. It all made sense now.

"How long have I been asleep?" 

"A long while which is unusual for a vampire. You also have lavender eyes like I do which is also unusual. Perhaps you are more special than we thought...Are you not thirsty?" Altair asked me as he studied me. His eyes were scanning every inch of my skin. He was astounded by the kind of vampire I was.

"I could eat." I nervously said as he helped me get up from the ground. When our hands touched I felt electricity run through my body. A spark flew in between our fingertips. Was this how love felt like? Altair pulled me right up off the floor with no problem. "Did you feel that?"

"Way before you became a vampire," Altair told me as he guided me through the hall into the dining room. I stood close to Altair like a puppy meeting a new person for the first time except I was not afraid of the people I was afraid of what I had become. Just knowing I could potentially kill someone with a flick or pressure of my fingernail sacred me. 

"Oh look at our new member," Despoina said as she came up to me. I just stared at her hand noticing how similar yet different we looked. We were both vampires. We were all vampires. Our eyes, our fangs, our pale skin made us the same. 

"Too bad Cornilious isn't here to see what she has become," Zaheda told Desponia as she puffed on a cigarette. I remembered Cornilious dying. I remembered how his body turned to ash and Madame Bovary cried out his name.

"I know poor Corilious. He was like a father to me." Despoina told Idris as I took a seat in the library. 

"Well, now he isn't here to keep us all in check so now I can do what I like," Zaheda told us all. Everyone just turned their heads quickly to Zaheda in anger. "Don't look at me like that. We are free from his hold. He has no control over us anymore. He is gone. Just because he gave us all life doesn't mean we have to be together."