36. Possession

Natalia had never ventured into the Fire room. When, over dinner, Master Paulo asked them to meet there in the morning instead of the courtyard, a prickle of uncertainty and excitement danced across her neck.

"Do you think it will be like the Fire Temple?" Natalia ventured later to her mate as they curled together in her bed.

"I imagine there will be some elements that are the same. Fire burns the same whether it is a God or an Elemental." Raja's eyes did not turn to her as he spoke. She followed them to the flickering shadows on the simple canvas canopy over their heads. Natalia's thoughts slowed as they danced, no longer racing with anticipation.

When she arrived in the space dedicated to Fire training, it felt familiar and foreign. The ceiling soared as high as the atrium at the Fire Temple, and the room was just as impossibly big, but there the similarities stopped. Where the stone and metal of the temple were all placed to inspire fear and awe, this room felt practical and safe. In the middle of the floor was a giant fire pit surrounded by benches of black stone. A hole in the ceiling would allow smoke to vent, but substantial barriers covered the space to prevent anything else from escaping. As she passed the first bench, Diddero and Jiyun pushed more strength into the barriers. They held hands as they paired their magic with precision. When she was young, she and Lukas had been able to blend their magic this way. Perhaps someday, she would do the same with Raja.

Leena sat down by a fountain in the corner of the room. Water trickled down from the wall and flowed around the room, encircling the fire pit. As the water increased its flow, Natalia could hear the Lady singing. She shared her amazement with Raja through their bond, and he smiled and cocked his head to listen.

Mara's face twisted in a scowl etched deep into her features, making her look even more intimidating than usual. She seemed lost in thought, focused on something far away as she absently flipped a small, smooth stone in her hand.

Paulo's expression had shifted from interest to concern as he stared at the petite Master, his brow furrowed with worry. But when he caught Natalia's glance, his features softened into a warm, reassuring smile.

"Ah, you are here. Give us time to finish the preparation." Paulo gestured to a nearby bench, and the couple sat. The tension in the room was palpable to Natalia, unlike the first two days of testing.

"They are nervous about having me meet the brothers." Raja's soft voice whispered in her mindspace as if he was afraid the other would hear him.

"It seems so. I guess after the courtyard almost burned down, they decided to be more careful." Natalia tried to be light-hearted, but when she had to unclench her teeth, she realized how much the mood affected her.

"Yes, maybe." He held her hand a bit tighter, calming her growing anxiety with his cool reassurance.

***

Raja took some comfort in Natalia's returning squeeze. He couldn't help but wonder if the long days of testing had been too much for the Master, leading to the tension in the air. His attention shifted to Mara, a younger Master who had arrived more recently, and he pondered whether she, too, could feel the weight of the trials. However, his thoughts were interrupted by the sight of a small smile forming on her olive face and her eyes finally focusing on the people in the room.

"Fire first," she announced, her smile broadening. "Air has claimed the privilege of being last of all the elements. And he will do any, um ..." half of her smile curved further up her face as her lips pursed together in thought, "'necessary clean-up.' as he put it."

"Clean up, that's funny." Paulo chuckled and nodded before glaring lightly at Natalia. "You can join in the mindspace, Natalia, but try not to engage Fire or Air. We are here to test Raja, not you."