Prologue - Nova

Stumbling into camp with yet another camper bleeding out, my average Tuesday is marred once more as my newest orange shirt is stained indelibly. That teaches me to wear anything ever. My half-sister Kayla Knowles rushes toward me, taking some of the weight of the girl leaning on my shoulder.

"Quickly!" calls Will Solace, our eldest brother and supposed leader - not that he does much of that - as we get closer. "Everyone else is ready."

Kayla, the kid, and I make it there in a satisfactory fashion, laying her down gently. Austin Lake lays a hand on my shoulder.

"We'll take it from here, Nova. Go back to guarding duty."

I trudge off, and as I open the doors out of the Infirmary, plaster a smile on my face. Even here, where we're supposed to be accepted for exactly who you are, I've found they don't trust you if you don't act like you're supposed to.

If you see a Hades kid smile, run.
If you see an Apollo kid frown, run.

The same stories again and again. Brushing my blonde hair out of my face with a bloody hand, I wander toward the cabin to change again. It's mercifully empty, so I drop the mask for a few seconds. What I wouldn't give for a paternity test to tell me I'm not one of the sunshine babies and I could sit with the other miserable kids at dinner. Hell, I've always felt far more kinship with Will's boyfriend Nico than I ever did with my brother.

Throwing a clean shirt over my head, I check my reflection in the mirror. I whistle appreciatively unconsciously, and watch the glass crack.

Note to self: keep mouth shut.