IV - Nova

After that terrifying display of gore, Madison quakes in her shoes. I don't stop to pick up my sword, I just walk gently over to her, placing a hand on her shoulder. I realise that I did it, and then jerk away.

"Don't worry."

"Don't worry? Nova, did we just see the same thing?" She puts her head in her hands. "Please tell me I'm tripping on mushrooms and that didn't just happen."

"In this world, there are two options. You either die because you're too afraid, or you fight on through the pain and the trauma and confusion and live to see another day. There's no practice runs in the real world - if you don't kill the monsters, they will kill you. Don't be ashamed of your abilities. They'll just make your life a little bit easier."

"You're ashamed of yours."

"No I'm not," I lie smoothly.

"I might not be a psychic, but I can tell when people are lying."

"I'm not going to talk about it," I say sharply. "I'm going to check on Nico. Hopefully you didn't kill my only friend."

I stalk away. I wish she didn't have to bring that up. I shouldn't have lied, but I'm not going to talk to some random girl I've known less than a day about something I'm so painfully ashamed of, when not even my siblings know.

Nico is stirring a little when I drop to my knees beside him, and Will fusses over his boyfriend more than is perhaps particularly necessary.

"You alright, sunshine?"

"Don't call me sunshine, Nova," he whispers. Will chuckles. "Not funny."

Judging that both of them are alright, I snatch my sword back up from the dirt and stand with my back to the flag. Madison stares at me from the other side of the clearing.

"Have a go, if you think you're hard enough."

She moves hesitantly, but her movements are true and I'm pretty sure that sword of hers is enchanted. Or cursed. I need to keep out of the way. She has the shorter blade, so distance is my best friend.

It becomes more and more dance-like as time goes on. A cheer goes up in the distance, so the two of us break pattern. I nod to Will, and he leaves Nico to go have a look.

"You think we won?" Nico asks, hauling himself to his feet. "By the way, you're an awful guard."

I flip him the bird. It's not my fault the new kid is exceptionally sneaky. He could have sensed her just like the rest of us: I make no qualms in pointing this out.

Nico just shrugs as Will jogs back. "We won, alright. We're leading next week. Kayla got it."

Great. She'll be even more insufferable this week. Will almost picks up on my change in mood and smiles gently. "It won't be that bad."

"Easy for you to say."

The four of us walk back toward the camp. Madison collars me; I stay back a little.

"You don't have to hide. Isn't that what this place is about?"

I sigh. "You have a certain way to act, even here. You'll be able to tell eventually which of my smiles are plastered. I'd love to be able to get away with being sullen and emo like Nico is, but as an Apollo child you have social expectations. I do have to hide. You haven't seen the dark side of camp yet."

"Would you show me?"

"No. I'm not condoning you getting yourself bullied."

I walk away.