XV - Nova

I never realised quite how good it felt to let go.

Maybe it's because I was always so terrified of the unknown. But now, as the darkness around me shatters under the light, it weakens enough, just momentarily, for me to force my way through the newly-materialised doorway.

Find Madison in Elysium. Ask her to leave. Then hope to the gods that her father isn't as much of a dick as his counterpart.

I duck my way down an empty corridor and an alarm blares, telling of an escaped prisoner. I keep running, sliding around corners, climbing uphill all the while.

"This way!" hisses Nico, pulling me into an empty room. "You're going to get yourself lost. I can get us out of here."

"I'll take my chances. I can't do that again."

He nods. "Turn right. Go to the end, turn left into the stairwell. Go up six flights. The third alcove to your right is a window. Jump. It's only two floors. Then you should see where the path splits. Then you've got to use your wits."

"Or I blind everyone in the vicinity."

"That too. Madison will remember everything from her life. Hopefully you have something you can use. Don't hold back."

"Thank you, Nico."

"I'm doing it for both of you. Not just her." He pulls me into a rare embrace. "Fight for everything you have, Nova. You won't find it again."

Footsteps sound down the corridor. "Go!"

I follow his instructions blindly. The years of endurance training at camp pay off as I sprint up the stairs and turn the corner. I take two carefully calculated seconds to assess the drop.

"Fuck it. I'm no daughter of Athena."

I jump.

I hit the ground hard. My ankle snaps, and the sound is loud enough to be heard halfway across Asphodel. Mental note. Don't take drop advice from Nico. The kid doesn't know physics exists.

I put a hand to my foot, healing it as fast as I can, before getting back up. The skeleton guards have noticed where I am thanks to that brief pause.

The guns start firing and I run faster. If I can catch my breath for a few seconds, I can try and come up with a solution. But there's no time.

I press on, ignoring the searing pain from my foot as I trip on uneven ground. I skid onto the road to Asphodel, and reach the crossroads. I duck my head and change paths.

"You can't be here."

"I'm not here?" I try.

"Nice try."

I close my eyes and summon light to my hands. The ball of light hovers in the air, before breaking apart into shatters. The guards on the gates slam backward, covered in lacerations. I smile harshly and set my jaw, walking along the road.

The gates of Elysium are open, showing sprawling villas and a pretty town. I walk toward the desk, where a short line lies.

"Madison!"

"Nova?"

She leaves her place and sprints toward me, pulling me into a tight hug. She whispers. "Are you dead?"

"No," I mutter. "Nico's helping me. We're here to bust you out."

"How?"

I smile. "Magic."

Madison

Nova's smile is unsettling. If I didn't know better, I'd say she's either lying or has a nefarious plan. Or maybe she's gone just a little bit crazy in the last few hours.