XVIII - Madison

One week later

Having to adapt to my decision has been one of the hardest things I have ever done. The butterfly effect, while achieving what I hoped, has pushed everything out of proportion, and I'm the only one who knows it's ever been anything different.

It took me a few days just to notice the change in everyone else. Nova had been out on a quest, so I sat in the Hades cabin with Nico for quite some time. Since I'd never ended up going on the quest with Nova, I'd spent more time bonding with everyone.

She arrives back today according to an Iris-Message, and I'm trying to imagine a world where Nova Harleigh doesn't recognise my face.

"Are you okay?" asks Will Solace, tapping me on the shoulder as I stare out across the sound.

"I'm fine," I say. I can't talk to anyone about what I've done.

"My sister gets back today," he says, sitting down beside me. "I think the two of you'll get on like a house on fire."

If only you knew.

"I guess I'll have to try and live up to that, then," I chuckle falsely.

"What's really wrong?"

"It's personal stuff."

He takes the hint and backs off. "I'm sorry."

He leaves me alone with my thoughts. I sit in the shade of a bush, and not for the first time this week I wonder what it'd be like to fade into that shadow.

A few hours later, a racket rises from the dining pavilion and I run over.

All I see is a flash of blonde hair before Nova knocks over a girl nearby; Valentina Diaz.

"I've missed you, darlin'," she says, and I don't have to look to know they've kissed.

I turn away from the reunion and wipe the tears off my face. Nothing could have ever prepared me for this.

I mourn the past alone, walking back to Cabin Thirteen. Nobody can see.

They won't understand why I'm crying.

They'll think I'm crying with happiness for getting campers home safe, that I'm crying for Nova.

And maybe I am.

But mostly, I'm just crying for myself.

Did I word it wrong? Or did I just not realise quite how much it'd change.

I wish Nova Harleigh had been loved for her entire life.

It worked. She's happy, free, and in love.

I wish I was Valentina Diaz.

So I sit alone, in the dark, remembering everything that's gone on between us. I cry for the past, weep for myself, and curse things that can't be undone.

I can't let anyone see me like this.

They can't watch my heart break.

Nothing hurts more than this.