Chapter 13

A few days later, Dylan was sitting in his room, deep in thought. He hadn't even noticed that Landen had been standing in his doorway for half an hour. He tried everything he could think of to get his friend to come back down to Earth. Nothing worked.

"Hey, Landen. How long have you been standing there?" he asked when he finally came to.

"Long enough. Do I wanna know why you've been staring at the last half hour or so?"

"Just thinkin'. I'm gonna ask Jaycee to marry me."

"You serious? She's only sixteen. She's gonna be a junior come August. Don't you think it's a little too early to be thinkin' about that?"

"I'm not gonna ask her right now. I'm gonna wait 'til our two-year anniversary to ask her. That's way, I can save up for the ring and engraving."

"That's a smart idea. What are you gonna have engraved on it?" he sat on Dylan's bed.

"'Forever Mine.' I wanna give her a family ring. I kinda think that if I give her a family ring, it means my family is accepting her before we're even married."

"What kind of ring you lookin' to give her?"

"One with a silver band with pink diamonds and blue sapphires. I might give her my grandmother's ring though. It's the closet to what I wanna give her."

"I thought it was the mother's ring that gets used."

"Any member really. But my grandmother really likes Jaycee the best."

            When Jaycee first met his grandmother, she thought she was amazing. She could tell that he'd find something in her that he wouldn't find in the rest. She told him if he decided he wanted to marry her, he could use her ring. Jaycee liked her ring. She liked pink, and Dylan's favorite color was blue. She wanted a ring that represented the two of them.

"Next time I see her, I'm gonna tell her I wanna marry Jaycee. She'll give me the ring, no problem. She told me before Jaycee could have it."

"Alright, man. You gonna ask her parents for permission?"

"I don't know yet. I probably will when it gets closer to our two-year anniversary. I'll tell them that Jaycee and I have been together for a long time, and we've been pretty serious for a while. I wanna get married after she graduates, but I'll respect their decision if they say no. I don't want them to say no. I wanna get married as soon as we can."

"I don't see why they would say no other than they think she's too young. When she's eighteen, their opinion won't matter. Her mom was twenty-four, and her dad was eighteen when they got married, so they can't really say no."

"I hope they say yes. Jaycee's the only girl I wanna be with for the rest of my life. I don't care what anybody says. She's mine, and I wanna keep it that way. Nothing is gonna keep me from being with her."

"You sure you're ready for it?"

"Yep. Even if we agree that right now isn't the best time to get engaged, or after she graduates isn't the best time to get married, i'm gonna wait 'til she says it is. I'll agree with whatever she wants."

"Dylan, my friend," Landen put his hand on Dylan's shoulder. "You're ready."

"Ready for what?"

"To spend the rest of your life with Jaycee. If you're talking like that, then you're ready."

"I am?" he thought for a second. "Yeah. I am. I'm gonna go get the ring. I'll be back later," he walked outside.

"He's finally growing up."

            He walked outside to Landen's truck. He and Landen had to share his truck until Dylan could get his own car. Landen pretty much let him use it whenever he needed it as long as he didn't need it. He was just lucky it was one of those days he didn't need it.