The Reapings Part Three-Districts Four, Five, and Six

Ruto sat backstage, turning her sapphire pendant over and over in her thin, spidery fingers. Champion of Zoras. She craved that title, wanted so desperately to be equals with Mipha, the last Zora champion.Assuming that Mipha's brother, Sidon, didn't beat her to it. He was a tall, intimidating Zora, it was true, but he simply wasn't as cunning as Ruto. If brawn counted for more than cunning in the Hunger Games, then in Ruto's mind the honour was gone.

Ruto glared at Sidon, his pearly smile flashing at the cameras. He was always on, his social act en pointe. Sidon was in fact the greatest heartthrob in the past century of Zoras in Ruto's opinion, and she knew with a jealous tug that sponsors would be falling on their faces in swooning over his wide smile. As much as Ruto hated to admit it, it even set her heart fluttering-and her heart belonged to a blonde Hylian named Link.

She hoped Link wouldn't volunteer this year. Hope was an understatement, actually; she desired deeply to have Link out of the running. This was foolish, she knew; he was one of the best District One male Careers. Of course he'd volunteer.

Ruto knew that, if it came down to it, she would have to kill Link. She knew it, but she tried so hard to keep denying it.

Link was sweet. Kind, and gentle; but fierce if he needed it. Ruto also loved his quiet little smiles, and-okay, fine: Ruto loved more or less anything and everything about him.

"True love," she whispered to herself, flipping the stone between her fingers. Would the stars cross in their favour?

Ruto certainly hoped so.

SIDON AL'DOREPHAN-MALE TRIBUTE, DISTRICT 4

AGE-16

HEIGHT-6'7"

WEAPONS-SPEAR, LONGBOW

RUTO ZORA, FEMALE TRIBUTE, DISTRICT 4

AGE-17

HEIGHT-5'9"

WEAPONS-TRIDENT, KNIFE

DISTRICT FIVE

Yunobo paced in circles in front of the train station, trying and failing to ward off his increasing anxiety.