Chapter 7

4/30/11 - 9:00AM - Isis Foundation - Metropolis, KS

Sleeping comfortably on the couch with a very wide smile on his face Howie couldn't get over how wonderful his week had turned out.  First he met Courtney at school and they had a wonderful lunch date in the cafeteria.  When he mentioned this to her he told her if it was either charming or stupid. To which she then asked if there was a third option.

'Really charming?'

To which he remembered her lovely smile as she said 'bingo.'  Eventually he spent every day with her, though it was mostly out of his own protection.  He knew he could take care of himself.  He may be a teenager but he was the youngest Green Lantern since the great Arisia.  He'd do fine.  But then again he was facing probably one of the worst members of the old Sinestro Corps.

Still he even dared to ask if she would like to spar.  He made up a story of being trained by a modest fencer in his last private school.  Not necessarily a lie.  The mighty Bolovaxian who trained him on Oa could have a squirrel become a skilled warrior.  Courtney also lied to him about being trained by an okay martial artist as well.  To which he could admit was a less than a worthy description of the late Sylvester Pemberton who was supremely talented.

Dressed in workout clothes, which Howie recalled made them both smile in delight for they were both young and very fit with her showing off her curves and he showing off his muscles. They both showed they were exceptional when they chose to spar with fencing swords. Every other day they weren't going out, they were inside the gymnasium working out.  After that little date by the cafeteria on Saturday they went outside for a walk.  It was more than a thrill to be holding her hand.  However she made it clear that she was busy for most of the week and she could only be with him for a little while.  Howie knew that Courtney was a member of the League and she was investigating a matter concerning Marionette Ventures.

He wanted to tell her the truth right there and say that it was Winslow Schott behind the whole thing.  But he knew his father would be there to save her.  He also had class to take.  Being the end of the school year he wasn't given much to do but to observe.  He did get to know some kids as well as be joined by Courtney in these classes.  Once or twice he was called as he was permitted to participate.  He was pretty smart and he'd engage several of the teachers as he answered their questions.  He had to admit this school did care about its students.  But deep down he only knew it was because most of these people were being paid very well to care.

He met a few kids and socialized about a few things.  He wanted to appear a little awkward.  At least he didn't have to wear a disguise like his brother and sister so he remained glasses free.  But he always stuck with Courtney and she stuck to him.  Howie continued to see her and actually go on more dates.  Every once in a while he was tempted to use his ring whenever a scream or siren was heard. But the ring was nestled inside his jacket pocket and he knew he couldn’t go for it without blowing his cover, for Courtney knew Alan Scott, the first human Green Lantern and he couldn’t risk her knowing about that. But one day he heard a scream and Courtney immediately asked to use the bathroom.  He then discretely tried to get to where he heard the scream only for Courtney to change into Stargirl and kick butt.  He'd watch from a corner while she performed her daring do.  He had to admit she was both lovely and strong.

Howie's eyes were still closed, as he was comfortable under his blankets as he remembered his week with Courtney.  Monday it was chilidogs and bowling. And he was more than happy to see her win.  Tuesday it was her Mui-Tai vs his Pankration. Because he barely won he got to take her out to a very nice Greek restaurant, not as great as Ferdinand's cooking but at least he got to eat meat at the place.  Wednesday it was jogging and Italian.  Thursday it was swimming and... well he forgot to eat while talking with her.  Seeing Courtney Whitmore in a bathing suit for him felt like a dessert and he had no desire to eat dinner.