Chapter 28

5/11/11 - 1:30AM - Isis Foundation - Metropolis, KS

Tess Mercer found herself in an office.  She saw the lights on in the place as she saw the sign of the Isis Foundation.  She looked around and was amazed that this was where the three were hiding.  She realized from Chloe's suspicions that it was the three of them as they were present in the room with her.  The place was dimly lit but she made out two people sitting by a couch. The Phantom Stranger was next to her as he started to speak while the rest remained where they were.

"We will tell you everything Tess Mercer.  But there is something you should know about us off the bat."  Tess then saw the whiteness of the eyes and hair of the Phantom Stranger went away as he took a breath as his eyes became blue, his hair black and his face began to show features of the man she knew as Alex Waid.  He was still dressed in a suit and cape as he was looking at Tess as the young man she had met those weeks ago.

"So Chloe was right, you involved yourselves in our affairs for weeks.  Why didn't you talk to us and explain the importance of what you are doing?"

"Because we couldn't risk anyone of you changing history." said a woman as she appeared from the shadows wearing an overcoat.  "Especially when you learn yours Tess."

Tess then saw the young woman approach and saw that she was dressed in an overcoat but also she had on dark brown, almost ebony hair that was tied in a ponytail with the exception of a small strand over her forehead.  Looking very much like a model as Tess saw that she had a very beautiful face with perfect skin, rose lips and deep royal blue eyes almost like that of Alex.  More importantly it took Tess a moment to realize who this woman really was.

"Lynn? Lynn Miller?" said Tess.

"That's the name I gave you when we doctored those internship papers." said Lynn.  "Amazing what a blonde wig and glasses can do."

She then noticed a young teenaged boy emerge as he was dressed in street clothes but noticing a funny green ring wrapped around his finger as she recognized it from the Justice Society brownstone as the magic ring of Alan Scott.

"Where did you get that ring?" said Tess.

"It found me." said Howie. "I didn't steal it.  Though it is a very rare ring, only 7200 of them exist at any one time, well in this time its 3600, one for each galactic sector.

"We know you have many questions for us Tess and you have every right to know. But in answer to your question as to why we never approached you sooner is that in our future..." Alex then hesitated for a moment as he then extended his hands in Tess' direction.

Tess had light shine in front of her face as she the saw images appear before her eyes.

"Long time sis." Lex Luthor seated in her chair at LuthorCorp. "I love you, sis." said the sneering voice of Lex Luthor as he shot her dead.

The light had dissipated as Tess was hyperventilating from what Alex had shown her. She finally spoke up in anger as she shared what she just saw.  "I die? I die."

"Yes. Tess, a few days from now as Lex Luthor comes back to life as he reclaims his empire.  The alternate Lionel makes a deal with the darkness and gives him back his son and the wickedness of the Luthor name continues in Lex.  But you never stopped fighting for our father."

Tess couldn't believe that Lex of all people could return to life.  She did her best to keep him away from all avenue of resurrection. His clones, Conner especially... but then she realized foolishly that she had forgotten the last thing that Alex had said.

"Father?" said Tess.

"Guys." said Alex. "Show her."

Howie then pulled his ring and then produced a giant green lantern that Tess also remembered resembled the one she saw in Justice Society brownstone.  He then took his ring and spoke an oath.