Chapter 8: One More Day

Luz shook her head furiously. "No!" she yelled. "Its both of us, not one or the other!" Amity put her hand on her shoulder. "Luz... please!" Luz shook her off. "Then both of us will stay!" The  man rolled his eyes. "Listen, one of you HAS to go back! If it means anything..." he sighed. "You'll have a day to think on it, NO LONGER! Meet me back here at sunset." He opened and motioned for them to leave. But Luz stayed put. Her eyes were rimmed with tears. "No! Please!" Amity took her by the arm. "Luz.... please.." Luz sighed and walked away with Amity. Once they had left the room Luz looked Amity in the eyes and said: "I don't want to lose you...." Her eyes filled with tears. Amity took her hand. "Don't think about that now... lets just try to enjoy our last day. So? Got any cool spots to show me?" Luz's face lit up. "Yup!" She took off dragging Amity behind her. 

Luz led Amity through the winding corridors, she abruptly stopped. "Follow me!" she said. She ran right into the wall. But instead hitting her head she went right through. Amity was quick to follow. The sun shone on her face, she looked down to see she was floating, floating above the Boiling Isles. She could feel the ground beneath her, as if there was a barrier keeping them from falling. Luz grinned. "I just happened to be walking through the hallway the other day when I came across this!" She motioned towards the horizon. Amity laughed. "You walked into the wall didn't you?" Luz blushed. "Maybe...." Amity giggled. "Not so smooth now are you?" Luz smiled. "What would you know about smooth Blight?" Amity looked her in the eyes. "More than you would think Noceda." They locked eyes for a moment, and the laughing ceased. Amity blushed furiously. "I..... um.... we should go!" Luz returned the blushing. "Yup! I... uh THIS WAY!" She awkwardly walked away. "I'm such an idiot!" she whispered to herself. Amity heard her but didn't let on, she followed Luz as they walked above the Isles. She suddenly realized where Luz was walking too. Luz wasn't smiling anymore. "I came here as soon I discovered this place." She sat down, underneath her, lay the Owl House. I thought that maybe they could see me.... but  we're invisible." Amity sat down next her. Luz looked across at her. "I saw you Amity...." Amity cried. "I'm so sorry Luz... it's my fault we're here!" Luz put her arm around her. "Amity, I wanted to thank you... for bringing my body to them, that sounds really weird now I think of it.." Amity laughed and wiped her eyes. Luz looked at the ground. "It's me who should be sorry... Amity I am so sorry that all this happened. I should have known better.... I- I" Amity pulled Luz into a warm embrace. "Shhhh, it's okay. We're together again. That's what matters." 

They sat there for hours, talking and sharing stories. They cuddled as they watched the sun go down. They both wished they could stay there forever, but neither of them would admit it. They were both about to fall asleep when Amity remembered. "Luz... sunset. We-we have to go."