Chapter 9: A Promise

The door swung open, the 2 of them entered the room. The man was waiting for them. "So have you decided who's staying?" Luz shook her head. "Can we...." Amity stepped forward. "I am." Luz looked at her. "No I am." Amity pulled Luz into a tight hug, tears streaming down of their faces. "No, I made my decision. You have to go Luz! You have a mom who's waiting for you, and Eda and King. You have your whole life ahead of you!" Luz choked on her tears. "So do you! And you have your parents, and Ed and Em!" Amity looked at Luz. "My parents don't care about me!  And Ed and Em would understand! You have to go Luz!" They stood there in the dark room, holding each other and crying. "Amity.... please! I can't go back! I care too much about you!" Amity buried her head in Luz's shoulder. "I can't lose you again Luz! But you have to go home!" She looked her in the eyes and smiled weakly. "Go Luz..." She pushed her away. "Goodbye Luz..." She turned around not daring to look back. She walked out the room and closed the door. "AMITY!" Luz screamed. "DON'T LEAVE ME!" The man took her by the shoulder. "Sorry kid, its your turn to go now." 

Luz stood in the center of the room. "I'm ready...." She closed her eyes. The man snapped his fingers. Luz could feel herself begin to fade. She realized that this was not going to be as quick as she hoped. "Wait!" she yelled. "Amity, I know your out there.... please! Can you stay with me.... until I go..." The door opened slowly and Amity stepped in her face was wet from crying. "Of course." She walked towards Luz. "I'll be right here..." Luz pulled her closer and put her head on her shoulder. "I don't want to go..." Amity sobbed. "I don't want you to go either... but I promised King I'd bring you back...." Luz looked into Amity's eyes, her torso had begun to disappear. "Luz... I need to tell you something..... I know that you don't see me the way I see you..." Luz put her hand on Amity's cheek. "Your'e right, because if you saw me the way I saw you that wouldn't make any sense." She took Amity's hands. "Because I see you as a girl that's sweet and will do what is right, a girl who tries so hard to be perfect when she already is, I see a girl that has never know real love because no one she knew would give her any, but she gave her love to her friends and never asked for anything in return." Amity looked at Luz her eyes wide, her cheeks red. "I have know real love Luz....... I feel it all the time..." she took a deep breath. "I feel it whenever I'm around you Luz.... I love you! But I've never had the courage to admit it... because I knew you didn't love me back..." Luz put her hands on Amity's cheeks. "Oh shut up!" She pulled her in and kissed her. They stood there, locked lips, eyes closed and streaming with tears. Luz pulled away and looked at Amity. "I love you too, but now I'm losing you and I wish I could stay here with you for the rest of eternity....." Luz had begun to lose her arms. "I'm fading faster.... Amity please! I want to be with you!" Amity put her forehead on Luz's. "In another life.... I promise..." And with that Luz faded away, and Amity was left alone in the dark, knowing she would never see her again.