Chapter Three

"Hinata, I think...I" He's hesitant to say the next words. The sadness has succumbed to the current scene they're in. If he can perhaps turn the time back, then maybe he'll choose the other way around.

She is too good to be with him. It is unfair, too unfair. It makes the relationship toxic.

They've been together for years yet he always finds reasons to be away from her. Her presence and gentleness choke him. It makes him feel guilty. Every time she kisses him, every time she hugs him, every time she reminds him how much she loves him to the core.

It's quite overwhelming. Maybe, he's not ready for this since he thought she can help him heal. Maybe she's too good. Maybeno. There are plenty of reasons to tell but the tragedy and what hurts his ego? Maybe, he doesn't love her the way she loves him. The naked truth he once buries in his mind. He doesn't and truly loves her at all.

"Naruto..." She forces a smile. "I know."

If he doesn't love her, why does it hurts? It's hurting him too! Perhaps he's confused.

"I'm sorry..."

Hinata wipes the tears but it always gets replaced by the next one. It flows incessantly betraying her mind. She always tells herself, she will not cry anymore. She has grown. Adults shall master the process of hiding their fears, their weaknesses, and even their pain.

"I want to know the reason," her voice cracked. "I..." She whimpers as the pain controls her mind. "Am I not enough? Am I not?" She sobs. "It hurts, Naruto. It hurts. What did I do wrong?" Her tears are now heavy. "What did I do wrong? I tried saving this. I tried saving you. I tried saving us. Why?" She almost breakdown. "I was there. I am always there. Why don't you see?" She completely lost it.

Seeing her like this, Naruto wants to slap himself in the hope to be awakened. 'What have I done?' He tried reaching her but something is telling him not to. 

Guilt.

The reason why we can feel pain after we've done either right or wrong.

"I'm sorry, Hinata. I'm sorry." He said as if that will console her. Maybe, even for a bit.

The woman calms herself, wiping the tears of tragedy. She looks at him once more. At least, maybe for the last time. "Naruto...don't settle in a relationship when you're not over with the other one yet. Don't say I love you when you are not done loving the other, not yet. Because it hurts. But I should never blame you. It's my choice to get involved." She then flashes an unlikely smile. "Treat her right for me."

Naruto's eyes widened. "Hin-Hinata..."

"I've known for a long time. I just comforted myself," she tried her best to smile. "At least, I'm the one you go home to. I'm the one you choose. But it was all  in my delusional attempt to save this relationship."

"Hinata..." His voice is as sad as if he can somehow empathize with her.

"I am happy. I feel happy being with you, Naruto. Maybe someday, I can finally tell you how happy I am for both of you. I am hoping for that day to come."

That was three years ago. His vision fixed on the ceiling. He can clearly remember the last conversation they had. It was a painful one. The scene was too tragic. Perhaps for both of them. Naruto runs his fingers through his hair. Idiot! Idiot! You are an idiot! He curses himself. It's been three years. He should move on!

But then, Sasuke took the mission. He knew Sasuke has no interest in the so-called "romance" and that may be the reason he volunteered to take such. But, unintentionally, seeing them together makes him feel uncomfortable. He just doesn't want to admit it.

Maybe it's part of the process. Maybe, he somehow gets attached to her. Damn! Maybe, he just hates the thought of Hinata being with someone else. And for all the people, It was Sasuke.

F*ck!

"I'm home..." 

"Naruto!" Hinata rushes and hugs the raven head.

Meanwhile, Sakura secured her medical kits when Sasuke enters the house. For a while, she glances at him but he never did in return.

"You're home... " Hinata smiled.

"Hn." ShitHe must lessen the "hn" response since Naruto never does such.

Sakura knew what's going on. He is using his genjutsu over and over to trick the Indigo-haired. By that, she felt sad. She wanted to tell her the truth because she deserves more.

"Sakura-chan. Will you join us for dinner?"

Guilty, Sakura smiled, blaming herself for everything too.

"No, I need to go. Thank you." She responds sweetly.

"Then, please be safe..."

To be honest, Hinata never knew nor remember that she (Sakura) and Naruto are married. They need to trust the process. She needs to recover before she can absorb any distressing revelations as it might worsen her situation. The pink-haired sigh. This Hinata can only remember a few events from the past.

Slowly with the flow of perfect timing, everything will make sense soon.

"I will. Thank you. I'll get going now," she approaches Sasuke saying, "She's getting better. Continue what you're doing..." She said heading her way out of the house.

There were only two of them left. Sasuke approaches her place because he needs to understand her better. She is busy preparing dinner while he's looking at her every move.

"Are you okay?" She asks, confused.

He understands why it was only him, the dobe which she can remember. There are times he wanted to kill someone or maybe something because of jealousy. It is one of his unhealthy behaviors.

"Hinata..."

"Hmmm?"

He walks towards her, wrapping his arms around her waist. "You look beautiful."

She hugs him back. "You always tell me."

They stayed hush while slow dancing.

"I think it's perfect."

"Hmmm."

"Naruto, thank you."

He did not respond.

"Naruto?"

"Hmm..."

"Let me hear those words."

Silence

He needs to control himself. He's been doing this for three years but it feels like it's his first time the way his heart has been pounding abnormally!

"I can hear your heart. It's beating fast," she remarks.

"It beats for you..."

She smiled back. "Those words, Naruto."

He looks at her as he lifts her chin slowly. The blue eyes just like Naruto stared back at her and that's when he says, "I love you, Hinata."

"Naruto..."

He caresses her hair. Then kisses her temple. "I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

"As if I have a choice," she chuckles which made him smirk playfully.

"I'm not giving you options anyway."