Chapter Nine

Hinata watches how uneven Hanabi's breathing patterns are as she lies down on her bed.

"How long has she been unwell?"

"She was unconscious since we left."

Hinata exhales heavily, "and father...did he come here earlier?"

"Yes."

As the conversation goes on, Hanabi's fingers gently move. She is finally conscious. "What happened?"

"Stay down. You can't do sudden movement yet. Your chakra is too low."

"Let me go back to training."

"Help yourself first," she gulps. "You knew you were ill, Hanabi, yet you remain stubborn."

Silence

"You are the clan's heiress. What about me? I always try to prove myself. I am always just your shadow," her voice cracks as bitterness invades her system.

"Hanabi..."

"I can't just pretend all the time Hinata. I am not okay with this. I am not okay with being the second option! They always put me behind you! Do you know how it hurts my pride?"

"Enough!"

Neji remains silent listening to their dialogue. It has been a long time since the sisters had this conversation. Since Hinata must be the future leader, she rarely has time for Hanabi. It is also to prevent the young Hyuga to be dependent on her older sister too.

"What can I do? Father always favors you."

"Hanabi!"

"I am not weak!"

"Stop it! You abused your body just to prove you're not weak? What's gotten on you?"

"I convinced myself to hate you but I just can't!"

"You don't need to pretend you like me either."

"Hinata, don't you get it? I love you but I also hate you! And guess what? I am still coming back to you. I use to be the second option for a long time. I am a slave of our clan's perspective! It is killing me. I am slowly drowning in the idea of being weak and useless. It is not making me proud!"

Hinata stared with a little sympathy. "Hanabi...do you remember when we were little children? We use to duel in front of them, in front of father just to prove who's the strongest," she chuckled. "I admire you as well. You were just a kid with skills and I think you're a good match for me. I let you win that time," she looks through her sister's eyes. "because I love you. I am the clan's heiress but I am still your sister. So please, don't measure yourself in a standard that is unrealistic just because your circumstances are different from the one you look up to.," she then flashes a genuine smile.

Hanabi looks away, guilty. "You're too kind. I hate that."

"I know."

The conversation was cut off when one of the servants spoke. "Hinata-sama, you were summoned by Lord Hiashi."

"Yes, I'll be right there."

The maid bows and walk away.

"Stay here...that's an order."

As they walk through the hallway, they stay quiet for a while.

"Onii-chan, thank you for taking care of her. I owe you a lot."

"Hush. I don't collect any debt for now."

Hinata smiled realizing how blessed she is to have Neji by her side. They finally reach the room where they always grace the visitor/s. When Neji opened the door her mouth dropped because she saw Naruto with Hiashi.

"Naruto?" She almost stutters, thrilled. "Father, what is this?"

The blond's attention is on Hiashi as if they are having a telepathic conversation. "I want to know Hinata more, Lord Hiashi. I am serious about it," Naruto said confidently. Hiashi's gaze did not leave him of course tracing any suspicious motives on his framework.

"What are you talking about?" She is dying to know what the conversation is about. Hiashi let out a heavy sigh. He closes his eyes. Maybe, he needs to understand that his daughter is a woman after all. He needs to understand that she isn't anyone's slave. She needs to see other stances of life too. He has been strict with her. She deserves to see the world too.

"Naruto, take it slow so you can take care of her then."

From that moment, Naruto curves a victory smile. He bowed repeatedly showing his gratitude to the Hyuga's leader. He then approaches Hinata and the smile never leaves his feature.

The moment he walks towards her, it feels like slow motion. It feels like her world revolves around him and only him. Her heart still beats uncontrollably.

"Shall we?" He asks.

"Ah?" She is confused.

"I got permission from your father. Let's call this our first date."

Meanwhile, she reaches for Naruto's hand as she turns to face Hiashi. His gaze was on them of course. She murmurs 'thank you, father' and it is almost a whisper.

Hiashi did not respond or show any emotions yet Hinata understands. They just need to take the process slowly.

A moment of silence inside the room. When they are finally away, Neji approaches the Hyuga leader as Hiashi sips the remaining drops of tea.

"You seem to take this matter lightly, Hiashi-sama. I'm surprised."

"Do you think I'm stupid, Neji?"

"Then, why?"

"My daughter has always set her eyes on that man. I don't own her. She is a woman after all."

"I don't trust him," Neji said as he sips the tea as well.

"How do you think people grow, Neji?"

The young man stays quiet, naive.

Naruto brought her to the highest building in Konoha. They eyed the surroundings and honestly, it was one of the best feelings Hinata had experienced. Without her knowing, Naruto is looking at her. For the first time, he appreciates her. Looking at her side profile, she is indeed a beauty. He flinches and looks away when Hinata turns her gaze toward him.

That was awkward.

"Naruto-kun, arigato."

"For?"

"For this."

He rubs the back of his head not knowing what to do, "Y-You're welcome."

"Naruto..."

"Hmmm?"

"Can I tell you a story?"

"What is it?"

The sound of the breeze swirls around them as Hinata's vision is fixed on the buildings below the skyscrapers.

"Once, there was a little lamb, she was bullied by the three monsters..." She looks at him intently. "It was a snowy day," her hair began to levitate making the scene close to perfection. "as she cried, a fox came, and he knocked all the monsters. He rescued her. He tamed her from crying. From that moment, she laid her eyes on him, and from this day forward, she only sees that fox."

"Does the fox even love her?" Naruto's voice is curious and clueless.

"Maybe...or she can teach him to love her," she whispered eyeing him lovingly.

"That's sad."

Naruto fails to understand the conversation. She was referring to their childhood memory when he rescued her from the bully. She smiled, it was a forced smile. I guess you never remember me at all.

"Naruto..."

"Hmmm?"

"Thank you."

The man looks away as he felt his heart-beats uncontrollably. He clears his throat intentionally. Maybe, it was just because of the breeze, or maybe the elevation is too high and his body is adapting. He shook his head thinking, 'grip yourself Naruto! What are you doing?