17 | with the wind

"There's something so special about the way this wind flows, it's like a reassurance and a promise of an awaiting hope

"There's something so special about the way this wind flows, it's like a reassurance and a promise of an awaiting hope."

He whispered into the air of the midnight city. I looked at him, spellbound by the words that sounded like the last desperate escape from reality, and said, "Maybe it's trying to tell us something— maybe to hold on just a little longer." He slightly smiled, something I hadn't seen him do in months now, and I was taken by surprise. It's awfully wondrous what a single touch of a breeze can change.

The cobblestones we walked on were cold and hard, just like the weather tonight. The people rushed past us, all of them in a hurry to reach somewhere but we walked slowly, we didn't have anywhere we had to be. It was mindless walking, a meaningless stroll through the city.

I noticed him look at the benches by the sidewalk, where they always used to sit, I hesitated but asked him anyway, "Do you miss her?" He held his breath, maybe he wasn't ready to talk about her yet but he went on anyway, "I do. It's just so so strange to me—this life without her. It's barely imaginable. Almost like a badly stretched dream, and that she'd come back any moment now. I don't understand how you're doing so fine."

The wind had hushed a little as we went to sit on the bench, I leaned back and let out a breath. "I'm surprised you think so. Maybe you've just been so caught up in yourself that you didn't have the time to notice and that's completely okay." I softly said and he looked at me with teary eyes.

I know it's not his fault yet one tends to blame themselves— maybe we make ourselves feel the guilt to forget the pain. Maybe that's our last chance to cling to some sanity when all else seems chaotic.

"You know how she always said 'go where the wind takes you', I never really understood that. It felt stupid. How would the wind know to guide us? It's so reckless in itself, I wouldn't want to wonder the outcome of that." He laughed, remembering the memories, the sad and bittersweet times when she'd give us advices that we knew we would never follow. I laughed along with him, it was a momentary merriment, a slight harmony and we knew even that wouldn't last more than a few seconds.

We got up and the winter winds greeted us. The cold in the air had slowly calmed us down. Sorrow makes much more sense after it's talked about. That entire night we walked through the city. We saw the nightlights blinking, the few night owls shifting their curious eyes, the few cars speeding down the roads, the last of florist selling their flowers, and the light shades of dusk following the darkest hours.

We didn't even realise but we had gone where the wind took us that night. We followed mum's advice after all. One day, we'll be all gone with the wind.

a/n : Online classes make me bored out of my mind so here I am. I hope you liked this piece of prose, something I wanted to craft as a long (and maybe messy) poetry.

I hope you enjoyed this and now my hyperactive imagination and I shall take your leave.