Hugs and Broomsticks

Alexandria was pleased when she saw the look on Malfoy's face when he saw Harry and Ron sitting at the Gryffindor table, who were looking tired but cheerful.

Alexandria's thoughts drifted to the three headed dog and the trapdoor as Harry filled her and Ron in about the package that seemed to have been moved from Gringotts to Hogwarts, the trio spent a lot of the wondering what could possibly need such heavy protection.

"It's either really valuable, if they need that three-headed dog to guard it," Alexandria said.

"Or really dangerous," Ron added.

"Or both," Harry said.

But all they knew what that the mysterious object was about two inches long. Neither Hermione or Neville showed the slightest interest in what lay underneath the dog and the trapdoor.

Hermione was refusing to speak Harry and Ron, but she to them was such a bossy know-it-all so the boys saw this as an added bonus. She still spoke to Alexandria but other than that she spend her time away from the three.

As the owls flooded into the Great Hall as usual, everyone's attention was caught at once by a long, thin package carried by six large screech owls. The owls soared down and dropped it right of Harry. They hardly fluttered out of the way when another owl dropped a letter on top of the parcel.

Harry picked the letter, Alexandria moved closer and read it over his shoulder. It was lucky that Harry read it first because it said:

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE.
It contains your new Nimbus Two Thousand, but I don't want everybody knowing you've got a broomstick or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you tonight on the Quidditch field at seven o'clock for your first training session. Bring Miss Weasley with you.

Professor M. McGonagall

"Why does she want me to come with you," Alexandria asked Harry as he handed the letter to Ron.

Harry turned to look at her, smiling.

"No idea," he said, shrugging.

Alexandria squinted her eyes at the boy, who just smiled at her then turned back to Ron.

————————————————————————
Harry thought he was going to be expelled for sure, he just knew it. Professor McGonagall was sweeping along without even looking at him; he had to jog to keep up.

Up the front steps, up the marble staircase inside and still Professor McGonagall kept quiet. She wrenched open the doors and marched along the corridors with Harry trotting and miserably behind her.

Harry's thought were all jumbled up inside his brain. Was she taking him to Dumbledore?  What would the Dursley's say when he turned up on the doorstep? He thought of Hagrid, expelled but allowed to stay on as gamekeeper. Perhaps he could Hagrid's assistant. His stomach twisted as he imagined Ron and Alexandria and the others becoming wizards and witches while he stumped around the grounds carrying Hagrid's bag.

Professor McGonagall stopped outside a classroom. She opened the door and poked her head inside.

"Excuse me, Professor Flitwick, could I borrow Wood for a moment?"

Wood? Harry thought; was Wood a cane she was going to use on him?
But Wood was actually a person, a burly fifth-year boy who came out of Flitwick's class looking confused.

"Follow me, you two," Professor McGonagall said, and they marched on up the corridor, Wood looking curiously at Harry.

"In here."