CHAPTER 6

Later that night, Troy was in his garage working on an old truck with his dad, talking about Troy's day.

"Sharpay's dad let me play a few holes and then invited me to dinner with some U of A alumni."

"Really?"

"And they were talking about scholarships, while Jason and Chad were, like, serving me." Troy admits, handing his dad a wench.

"And getting paid for it." His dad replies, looking up a Troy. "It's called a job. You were invited, nothing wrong with that."

"Yeah. I don't know. It felt weird." Troy shrugs.

"I love that you've got the team working together, but you're not gonna be a Wildcat forever. The team is now, and that's... It's good, but everybody's got their own future."

"I'm not sure I know what you mean."

"Well, when you graduate, lots of people are gonna be chasing the same opportunities." Mr.Bolton explains. "There's nothing wrong with keeping your eye on the prize. In fact, if you don't, you get left behind."

"Yeah, I know, I'm just saying," Troy sighs. "I didn't get my friends jobs at the club so they could sit and watch me eat in the dining room."

"You know, I'm just saying never be ashamed of attention, as long as you've earned it. You know, a scholarship's special, that's why there's only a few to go around."

"Yeah, yeah. I get it, Dad."

"Okay." Hid dad answers before changing the subject. "So, how was the food at Lava Springs?"

"Insanely good."

His dad laughs, shutting the truck's hood. Taking a pair of keys out of his pocket, he tosses them to Troy. He looks at them in surprise, before turning to look a his dad. Mr. Bolton nods his head towards the truck. "Take it out for a spin."

"No way."

"Well, you didn't think I was going to drive this heap, did you?"

"Yes! Yes!" Troy shouts excitedly, hugging his dad. He gets into his truck, before driving out of the driveway.

.....................................................

The next morning, Y/N was teaching a water aerobics class at Lava Springs.

"Okay, bring those knees up as high as you can and circle those arms." Y/N calls as Troy walks up behind her.

"Hey, water bug." Troy mutters to Y/N, her turning to face him. "Last night was so fun. I really didn't mean to get you in trouble."

"Same here." Y/N replies back.

"So, maybe today we can have our..." Troy began but was interrupted by Sharpay knocking on window that looks into the pool area for the lobby.

"Troy?" She holds up a white sign with glittery pink writing, the words, "Fulton needs to see you. Now!"

"What time is your lunch break?" Troy ignores Sharpay, looking at his girlfriend.