The Sweet and Sour

By Shree 

By Shree 

"One more year to go," I tell myself, as I unlock the door to my comfy apartment. It's like the mantra that I keep on internally chanting as the stress ravishes me like a wolf with his prey. In just a couple of months, I'd be holding a shiny degree that would indicate my completion of my MBA. I could almost feel and see the smooth piece of paper, and how it shines in the light.

Even if I end up bending backwards for this degree, I know that it's going to be worth it in a couple of months when I can proudly hang it up on my wall. I swing open the door, and walk in so that I can be comforted by the symbolic sound of my bed calling my name. Of course, there's someone else calling my name, and that's the love of my life. "Lily! Are you home?" Ethan, my boyfriend, calls.

I hang up my coat in the closet that's sitting next to me. "Yeah, I'm home!" Ethan runs into the hallway, and sees me looking very stressed, tired, flustered, and pretty much anything else that could be used to describe how exhausted I am. "How was class?" he asks, as I walk over to him. "Oh, it was fine. Nothing too extreme. I do have a lot of work to do, and it's not going to do itself." Ethan gives me a slight smile, and plants a soft kiss on my cheek. "Let me know if you need some help."

He walks back to the living room, to continue doing what he wants to, and I head into my room. I flop back on my bed, and try to process everything that's happening. I've got work that's piling up by the second, and I have to do all of it to accomplish it. I may break my back doing it, but that degree is worth it, so long as I don't sacrifice my mental health doing it. The work may cause me to cry, scream, and hate myself, but this has been my goal for so long. Why would I give up now? It's not worth spending so much of my blood, sweat, and tears on something and to give up halfway.

And even if I feel like giving up, I just try to remember something. I've got the best boyfriend in the world to support me, love me, and encourage me to get my master's. Ethan will be there with me every step of the way to help me, and I'm grateful for everything that he's done. But for now, the path to my master's will be taken one step at a time. And these steps may be tough, but it'll be worth it.

_____

Shree, a.k.a. svtswrites says, "(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ A little bit about me: I'm a proud Indian, Sheeranator, Christina Perri fan, and I love to write (no duh). Oh, and I love Oreos and dark chocolate. Give me some, and I'll love you forever."

"