10: Annie Are You Okay?

I look up and at the person standing in the door. Slightly surprised at the person staring back at me, I don't make any movements. I don't say anything either, because I don't know what to say.

"Annie, sweetheart, what happened? Andy called me at work. I came over here as soon as I got out."

My mother diverts her eyes from me and stares at Zayn's body. I don't say anything or make any movements. I stay sitting still.

"Did you see who did it?" She asks, holding her stare.

I shake my head. "It was dark, I couldn't see."

She sighs and walks over to me. I immediately stand up. "Here, sit down," I tell her, motioning to the chair. She shakes her head and tells me to sit down.

"Do you want to go home and get some sleep?" She asks.

I shake my head. "I don't want to leave him," I say quietly, staring at him.

She sighs as Andy walks into the room. He smiles at me. "I see you found the room," he says, sitting on the windowsill behind me.

I nod and then stare down at my feet. The tension in the air is getting too overwhelming for me. I take a deep as I feel Andy's hands on my shoulders. My mother clears her throat and I look up at her. "I'm going to go talk to the police officers," she says before leaving.

The beep on the heart machine keeps a steady pace, filling the silent room. I watch the glowing line as it moves. My eyes move to the bags of fluids dripping into an IV.

I lean my head back to rest on Andy's knee. "Do you think he'll ever wake up?" I ask him.

He frowns, looking at me upside down. "He will, don't worry."

I sigh and sit up straight. "What if he doesn't?"

I can hear my heart pounding in my ear. I don't like the though of that. Suddenly, another thought pops into my head.

"You'd really kill your own daughter? You've always been a heartless bastard, doesn't surprise me one bit."

I turn to Andy with wide eyes.

"What?" he asks, looking concerned. "AJ, what's wrong?"

"Do you know anything about dad?" I ask.

He looks at me curiously. "Why?" he asks.

"Just because I want to know if you know anything about him or if you know where he is," I tell him.