Chapter 5

Umbridge was making life a misery. Especially for Harry. He would come back from detention with scars all down his hands. I tried to stay off her radar as much as possible, however sometimes it was impossible.

I was in DADA when she asked me if I had done my homework. Stupidly I had lied, and of course she knew straight away. That evening at detention, she made me write out "I must not lie" over and over. Her magic pen cutting deep lines into my skin.

The pain was excruciating, and I whimpered through out, however, I did not allow myself to cry. In many ways I had been through worse, just not physically.

As I had walked into the Great hall the next day, Hermione came rushing by my side. She insisted for me to go to the infirmary, but I refused, I was fine. For the rest of the day she looked at me worriedly, so I put my fakest smile on, and my act seemed to satisfy her and helped get her off my trail.

~~~

"...We must tell her! She's our friend and I know we can trust her."
"Yes, but she is a Slytherin!"
"I know, but that doesn't mean anything Harry, what house you are isn't a personality trait."
"Ok, ok let's tell her now."

They were all whispering between each other as I came round the corner. They looked up and acted as natural as possible. But they couldn't fool me, I knew they were talking about me. But I wasn't going to inquire, it was too much effort, and if I was being honest, I really did not care.

"Come over here." Hissed Hermione.

"Look we have something to tell you, you know how Umbridge is refusing to teach proper DADA? Well we have organised an army, Dumbledore's army, to train us to fight."
She looked at me to make sure I'm listening.
"It's held twice a week in the room of requirement. I want you to come."

I looked at her taken aback. Someone actually wanted me to be there? For the first time I wasn't just an extra weight, an unnecessary burden.

"It's been going on for about a month now. You MUST NOT tell anyone. I don't know what our punishment would be, but I know it would be bad."

I nodded my head vigorously, I had the chance to prove my loyalty, and I was going to take it.

"I'll see you tonight." Hermione smiled at me, along with Harry and Ron.

Smiling back, I walked off. No one would ever understand how much that invite actually meant to me. How it convinced me to stay for a bit longer.