Chapter 54

Draco's POV

I sprinted down the stairs, rushing over to the crumpled heap on the ground. I pulled her close to my chest, cradling her small, broken body. I held my head close to her heart, but I could already hear the beats fading away little by little.

"No, please, please, you can't go, you can't!" But I knew it was too late, she was long past the point where I could save her.

I stroked her face gently with my hand, "Look at the stars, they are gorgeous aren't they!" I said, trying to help her keep calm. I kissed her softly on the forehead, and I saw her mouth twitch into a small smile.

The tears flowing freely down my face, and I watched as her sparkling eyes went lifeless. It felt as if I had stopped breathing. Nothing felt real. This couldn't be happening, I should have saved her, I should have been there for her. I should never have left her. But it was too late now, the damage had been done, and this time there was no turning back.

I let out a heart wrenching wail, as I cradled her broken body in my arms. This wasn't how it was supposed to end. We were meant to go to the meadow together. We were meant to see each other grow old, we were meant to run away together. But now that dream was long gone. I was left alone in a cruel world that had put me through so much, and now it had gone too far, taking away the only thing that I loved.

No, I wasn't going to keep going, I had nothing left for me. There was no point in putting myself through all the grief when I could just easily put everything to a stop right here, right now.

With a trembling hand, I held the wand up to my head, "I will see you soon my love," I whispered. And then I said that cursed words that stopped my pain forever.