05 | 2:07 a.m.

the knight

the knight

****

"DO YOU LOVE me?" Lilith asked while fiddling with the drawstring of Emile's hoodie. The two were in Emile's dorm room, and Lilith had snuck in after curfew.

"Yeah," Emile slightly hesitated. "I do."

There was no reason he shouldn't, right?

"Thank you, Emile," Lilith sighed, placing her head onto Emile's soft-thread pillow. They were lying beside each other on his bed, and the only sounds that could be heard were their heartbeats. "I think I love you too."

"I can work with that," Emile lightly traced over the freckles on her skin, connecting them like they were constellations found only in the dark night. "Are you nervous for tomorrow?"

Lilith was a chess prodigy. The first time Emile saw her play in the library, it was that moment where he became transfixed with her. It was also when he accidentally bumped into her, and she helped him pick up his books on ancient civilizations.

"It'll be like every other match," Lilith lost the expression she had on since she came. Now she seemed far away even though they were merely a few centimetres apart.

He decided to ignore it and not pry. He didn't want to ruin one of the few times where everything seemed all right between them.

During moments like these, where they simply revelled in each other's presence, he couldn't understand how he felt the need to cheat on Lilith with Amira. But that was only during times like these...

"What do you mean?" He shifted closer to her, so her front was pressed against his.

"Chess is one of those games where it's entirely dependent on one's state of mind. I like to play more passively, waiting for the other player to mess up, but if my opponent decides to start aggressive, who am I to ignore them?"

"I remember we played once before we started dating," Emile chuckled at the memory. He was beaten within ten moves and sat there shellshocked. "You beat me so bad, I was ashamed to show my face around you."

"Your expression at the time was worth it," Lilith whispered. "It reminded me of the time when I first began playing."

"When was that?"

"I think I first picked up a chessboard when I was five, and I've been playing ever since."

Few seconds passed where they stared at each other. The moonlight snuck in through the small crevice of the window and cast a pale-blue colour on Lilith's golden hair.

"You're so beautiful," Emile stared, unable to believe that this person was his girlfriend.

"You are too," Lilith sighed with content as Emile hugged her closer to his chest. "I'm really happy with you."