Chapter 2

Zoe's POV-

"Zoe." I heard a voice call as I walked into Biology. I looked over the room and saw Jess at one of the tables, she was waving at me to come and sit by her.

I smiled and walked over to her. "Hey Jess." I said taking the seat by her.

"You look moody, what's happened?" She said, looking over to me.

"Shit day I s'pose. Miss French gave me a detention and I had to sit next to Ashton Irwin in creative writing."

"Aw you had to sit next to Ashton I feel sorry for you." She said sympathetically. She looked sad today.

"How are you and Luke doing anyway?" I asked her, remembering about the fight they had last Friday.

"Yeah he's still not talking to me, he says that 'he never should of trusted me' and that I was just a mistake." She was looking down at the desk. "I think this time it's actually over."

Jess and Luke Hemmings had been going out for 2 years, they were the on and off type relationship. They would fight, break up and then a week later be back together again.

"I think this has been our worst fight, he's been avoiding me since well the party. You know I didn't mean to kiss Calum, I was just so drunk and I can hardly remember what I was trying to do." Her voice was shaky, she lay down onto the table, desperately holding the tears in.

"Hey look Jess, don't worry about Luke, how about I talk to Luke at lunch?" I said sympathetically. "I'll try and talk some sense back into him okay?"

"Thanks Zoe I would really appreciate that." She mumbled, looking up, I could still see the sadness in her eyes, I knew how much Luke meant to her.

"What are friends for?"

"Settle down everyone." Our teacher, Mr Smith, said shutting the door. " Let's do some fun Biology." He clapped his hands together, there were various groans echoing around the classroom.

_______________

After Maths, I found Luke standing in the queue in the cafeteria. He was quite a tall and skinny boy, with messy blonde hair that he always styled into a quiff. He was looking down at the floor with his hands in his black skinny jean pockets. He looked like he was feeling sad and angry. I walked over and stood by him.

"Hey Luke." I said to him sweetly. He started to search around. "Jess isn't with me by the way."

"Oh okay." He nodded quickly, relief started to sweep over his face. "Hey Zoe, how's your first day back going?"

"Shit." I said truthfully.

"Yeah I know." He nodded back. I looked up to him. Luke was a nice guy really, although sometimes people would misjudge him because of the lip ring and him being in a band.

"How are you doing about....?" I asked.

"Well sometimes I wish I could forget about her and pretend she never existed. But sometimes, I don't know just sometimes I want it all to go back to normal." He said quickly, I noticed that his hands were starting to shake.

"You know she still loves you right?" I pointed out.

"Yeah and I love her too." He paused for a moment. "I just. I can't deal with this anymore."

I opened my mouth to talk but he stopped me. "I mean she should of thought about it when she made out with Calum. Calum is one of my friends for god's sake!" He was starting to raise his voice, people started to turn around and look at us.

"Luke calm down, she didn't mean it, she was drunk and she had no idea what she was doing." Luke looked at me for a second and looked down at the floor. "So what are you going to do now?"

"Nothing." He shrugged. "Anyway, what's the point she will just break my heart again."

"Luke that's not true." I shook my head.

"Look can we just not talk about her please?" He said turning around towards me.

"Sure." We finally reached the sandwich stall. Luke handed me a sandwich. "Thanks."

We payed for the sandwiches and found a small two person table at the back of the cafeteria and sat down.

"So why has your day been so shit then Coles?" Luke asked me in his posh voice, pealing off the wrapper of his sandwich.

"Well you know the first days back are always shit. What about you Hemmings, why has your day been so shit?" I bit into my sandwich.

" 'Well you know the first days back are always shit' " He mimicked me, giggling. I punched him in the arm. "Ow." He rubbed his arm, looking hurt. We both ended up giggling together.

Luke started talking again but I got distracted, something caught the corner of my eye. I could see Calum and some of his other mates throwing someones food on the floor and making fun of some him. I focused my eyes more to see who it was. Ashton Irwin. I had seen Calum do this a lot and never really any notice of it, but today I felt kind of sorry for him, Ashton had never done anything wrong so why did calum do that.

"Earth to Zoe!" Luke was clicking his fingers in my face.

"I'm sorry what were you saying?" I said, blinking.

"I asked what you have next." He said, looking at me.

"Um." I thought for a second. "History I think."

"Room 02?" He asked.

"Yep." I nodded, finishing off my sandwich. The end of lunch bell rang. "Come on let's go." I sighed, clutching my bag.

______________

"So how's the band doing, wait what was it called again?" I asked Luke in History. We were sat at the back, ignoring everything that Mr Church was telling us to do for the whole lesson.

"5 seconds of summer." Luke said quickly. I raised my eyebrow. "Michael's idea." He added.

"Well that makes perfect sense." I giggled.

"How is Michael anyway I didn't see him around school today." He asked.

"Not very good he was crying for a good 2 hours straight and started telling me about how he thought she was 'the one'." Me and Michael have been friends since the age of 4 and we basically tell everything to each other. "He didn't want to come to school today."

"Well I guess band practice is cancelled then." He looked disappointed.

"Have you found a drummer yet?" I asked.

"Nah not yet, we're still looking-"

"Luke Hemmings and Zoe Coles, what have you been doing for this whole lesson?" Mr Church was looking down to us.

Shit. Luke mouthed to me.