Chapter #12

It felt strange to wake up.

At first I couldn't move my fingers, or the whole of my body for that matter. My eyes adjusted to the soft light streaming through a window. Except for the coffee table and two chairs by the window, the grey room I was in was empty. My tried turning my head slowly, but my senses snapped my head back to its resting position. I winced, and reach out for my neck, wondering why it felt like a tough rubber band, and then my attention was drawn to the clip on my index finger.

I frowned at the sight of it, as I wasn't used to being terribly sick, so it felt so strange to see myself in a hospital bed. Come to think of it, the room smelt of disinfecting spray, fresh plasters, and so much disinfectant. My nose scrunched at the smell and my attention was brought back to my neck. Although I tried reaching for it, my arm felt like I weighed a ton, and the other remained completely limp as it lay along my side.

After multiple unsuccessful attempts, I finally gave up and lazily looked at the sun's rays that filtered through. As thoughts ran through my mind, I frowned at sight of my reflection in a small round mirror sitting on the counter among the neatly organized medical equipment.

Why am I here? I asked myself, I tried reaching out for my neck once more, when I suddenly hissed.

What smells like that? I sniffed the air as my senses tried their best to figure out what that putrid smell was.

Something leaked down the nape of my neck and then got soaked up by the pillow my head rested on. I tried reaching my neck with my heavy arm, but the swinging doors suddenly burst open, and I dropped my arm back onto the mattress and let my body sink into it. Although I tried keeping my eyes shut, my curiosity gave got the best of me, and I peaked through my eyelashes, squinting as I tried making up the figure of the intruder.

They turned away from the counter and looked through drawer after drawer. The way he moved from one drawer to the other gave the impression that he had been working here for a while. He wore grey scrubs and had a white coat atop of that. He turned back to the counter, and I quickly pretended to be asleep.

I heard a chuckle, and then a voice spoke, "I know you're awake, you know?"

Ha! I bet he's just trying to trick me, but I know I won't fall for it!

He shuffled around a bit, and I tried fighting a smile that continuously crept on my face. He let snorted quietly and then it got quiet. I waited for another sound, and when there wasn't another anymore, I peered through my eyelashes.

"Aha! You sneaky little—oh my goodness!!" He gushed, and scrambled through the equipment and pulled gauze, a disinfectant and a scalpel.

My eyes rounded in fear at the sight of the blade, he smiled warmly at me as he drew liquid out of a flacon into a syringe. "Don't worry, this will help."

I tried speaking, but couldn't. He seemed to have heard me, and he brought me a glass of warm water. He held the rim to my lips and gently tilted it forward, the clear liquid was a welcomed taste in my mouth and I drank it as fast as he brought it. He laughed, and said I shouldn't drink too much or I might throw up.

"H—" my voice cracked, "Why am I here?" I asked.

He placed his large palm over my hand, "You don't remember anything?" he asked. I looked into his eyes for any information he might give away with his expression, but for some reason I felt guilt.

I felt guilt...

I shook my head, "What happened?" I asked him which a tight feeling in my throat.

I didn't even understand why I was so worried.

I am never sick so I am never in a hospital, I told myself as I tried reasoning with my current state and the irony of my situation.