Dear Journal (Pt. 9)

"... And I'm Linda Jones, here with your news of the hour. The disappearance of our friendly neighbourhood  Spiderman has caused great concern, as crime rates in the city rise. Many question how the disappearance of one superhero has caused such a massive spike. 

I'll be talking with psychologist Mary Rowan on how much confidence plays into crime, and how Spiderman truly kept the peace... More on that in a minute! Now with your daily traffic update..."

"Do we have any idea where he is?"

"No sign of him, sir." Happy Hogan was nervous, sweating, and clutching a folder of loose photographs. "One possible lead, but I don't think you're gonna like it..."

"Come on, Kid..." Tony Stark, billionaire extraordinaire, ran a hand through his already windswept hair. "Fine," he sighed. "What is it."

"The girl," Happy said, just as the television screen switched to a picture of Peter at the fateful science fair. The Picture, as everyone had come to call it.

"No," Tony said, feeling just a spark of anger. "What, is that it? The girl? His - his teenage crush?"

"Michelle Jones," Happy confirmed. "Though I have been informed that her friends call her MJ. She was the last person to talk to Peter. And -"

"I don't care if she was the last person to talk to Peter. You really think she knows anything? She didn't even know that he was Spiderman."

"I know, sir. But - well, there's more. Earlier this year, Miss Jones was shot in the street. Spiderman saved her -"

"Yes, yes, she's the girl in the video. The one he got all emotional over. So she was caught up in a shooting. That doesn't mean anything."

"The police had reason to believe that it was a targeted attack. Afterwards, the girl admitted that in the weeks before she had been harassed by the same masked man twice. She was also involved in an attempted stabbing. All the same man, and Spiderman saved her every time. They thought it was a hate crime and the man was targeting her, but what if -"

"-They were using her to get to Spiderman. Shit," Tony sighed.  "Fine. How do I get in touch with her?"

"We have her phone number. But Tony...?"

"Yeah?" 

"Remember, she's in mourning, too. I think... I think this really messed her up. Be kind, okay?"

"When am I not?" He smirked, quirking an eyebrow, but sobered at Happy's glare. "Yeah, yeah, old man, I get it. Be kind."

MJ

If there was one thing she could say she truly wasn't expecting, it was to have Tony Stark, AKA Iron Man, show up on her door.

She held the door open, mouth gaping, as Mr. Stark remover his sunglasses and looked at her.

"I tried to call you," he said, face inscrutable. "Sorry, is this a bad time? I was wondering if I could talk to you, Miss Jones."

"Are you here about Peter?" She asked, face cold. "I know he had an internship with you, Mr. Stark. But I already talked to the police. He's dead, and -" she blanched. "He's dead. And it was just a fire."

Her jaw tightened. She didn't believe it was just a fire, anymore than she believed she was accidentally shot. But the police had closed the case, and MJ had to move on. 

Moving on didn't mean forgetting Peter.

"Oh, but I'm not here to talk to you about Peter Parker, Miss Jones, though that was a terrible, terrible tragedy. No, I'm here to talk to you about Spiderman."