7: The Five Roses Keep

Lenard is sitting on a tree stump across the smoldering fire pit. He smiles as he notices me re-materliaze just a few feet away, then ruffles his red beard and says, "You got back a lot faster than I expected."

Dawn's light is just beginning to pour out over the forest and Five Roses Keep. The other two River Raider goons—Alloy and Finn—are still sleeping in their bedrolls next to the campfire. I've probably only been gone for six to eight hours.

"Yeah," Alloy says as he sits upright. "It's unfortunate we have to look at your face again so soon." He smiles at me, and that makes two of us. Just the sight of him irritates me. His curly blonde hair that looks like instant noodles, too. He says, "It is early, though. Did you see the futility and decide to be our tank?"

I shake my head. "Right off the bat, I want you to know I still don't want to help you. What you're doing is worse than bullying, and it makes my blood boil, but it doesn't seem you're giving me much of a choice. So I will be your tank, but only if you promise not to kill me and to free me from your Identify spell when we are done."

Alloy doesn't seem disturbed or upset at my accusation of him and his goons in the slightest. He just smiles, and that's how I know my words have merit. Wither or not he believes me, the Shield is in trouble, and this is a huge setback that I don't have time for.

With an impish grin, he places his hand in his hip and says, "Agreed. It's a fair deal. I'm glad you've come to your senses, but maybe you'll see how awesome and supportive the River Raiders are and want to join up rather than be cut loose." Alloy stares at me with that stupid smile, making me wonder if he's thinking about going against his word when we're done with this dungeon. There's nothing I can do about that but hope it doesn't come down to me choosing to die and re-start a new character just to be free of him.

With a motion of his wrist, Alloy says, "Anyways, judging by your stats, you rolled pretty high on your fortitude during character creation, yeah?"

I shrug. "Sixteen?"

"It's decent. Out of a possibility of twenty four different digits, you drew lucky—on the upper half, at least. So I'd recommend putting any points you have available into Fortitude. Your only goal is going to be to take damage and keep hostile mobs attention. You want to stay in front, and take every blow possible. I have a way of restoring your health as you take more damage, and the other two will be focusing on controlling the deadlier mobs abilities and dealing most of the damage as quickly as possible."

I nod. Just by the way he's talking, I know that he's got way more knowledge of this game than I do, and I'm familiar enough with the terms he's throwing out so I know he's not pulling my leg. I pull up my attributes screen. A part of me wonders if I shouldn't put a few into strength, just in case one of these wise guys decide to try and kill me when all of this is over with. That way I'd hopefully be able to take at least one of them out with a few swings if I can get close enough, but something tells me that Alloy would notice if I put points in strength, though, so I decide against it and I dump almost all of my points into Fortitude—save for two just incase I need them.

Aiden Rockwell

Lv. 2 Warrior (2)

HP: 152

STRENGTH: 14

FORTITUDE: 23

DEXTERITY: 11

WISDOM: 16

INTELLIGENCE: 13

SWAY: 15

Considering that I'm three levels behind Alloy and I already have more HP than him is astounding to me. Granted, I'm building myself up to take hits, not dish them out. I'm sure my damage is astoundingly less, but I won't know for sure until we get into the Five Roses Keep.