16: Respite

Walking between tightly packed houses, in alleyways dark but unoccupied, I can't seem to stop thinking about Felix and how off-putting he was. I really do hope that his strange and unusual attitude was just him trying to cover up his own forgetfulness and embarrassment, but a part of me still feels uneasy about it. As I near the looming outer wall of Birch Castle and Rupert comes into view, I sigh and guess that I just have to let it go.

"Hey Rupert," I say. "I cleared out Sunshine Mines."

The captain of the guard looks surprised and pushes himself from his leaning stance against the wall. "By the divine! I had thought you were capable of thinning their ranks, but not actually finishing them off! This is grand! I'll inform the King of your service to his realm myself. Here, take this."

Your quest Sunshine Mines is complete!

10,000 experience earned.

1,000 gold earned.

A (LV. 10) Bastard Sword was added to your inventory.

1 Captain's Favor was added to your inventory.

You can re-visit Sunshine Mines whenever you like!

As the captain begins to lean back against the stone wall again, I interrupt his animation by asking, "Rupert, I'd like to use my Captain's Favor. Do you have any armor?"

"Of course," Rupert says. Within moments my IOU disappears, replaced by a level 12 Leather Harness. As I equip it the armor materializes over me, replacing the cotton tunic I was wearing before. All at once, I can feel my cheeks going red with embarrassment. The hardened brown leather has straps that run from my shoulders and down my sides, with buckles that barely cover my nipples. Only the lower half of my stomach, my sides, and my arms have any adequate cover. Leather might be tougher than cloth, but this level of exposure makes me uncomfortable. How is this an upgrade?!

If I would have known most of my chest and stomach would be out in the open, I would have asked for something else and just waited until I could buy a different set of armor! I mean, I'm physically in shape, but I feel so exposed and self-conscious. Especially when I have to go meet up with the others at the Wizard's Den.

I grumble and sarcastically say, "Thanks a lot," to Rupert and turn around.

"No problem. I owed you," Rupert says.

I just ignore him, biting down on my embarrassment and disappointment of Rupert's inability to detect my obvious sarcasm. I can't be the only person who's ever worn one of these, right? All I can do is hope that the others won't think as much about it as I do. Particularly Rin.

I take deep breaths as I walk towards the tavern, trying to cool myself down and get my own insecurity in check. Reminding myself that my armor bonus is going from 5 to 12 and the slight bump to strength and dexterity is incredibly helpful, I try to steel my confidence. While it may not look more practical, it should certainly help our subsequent raids of Sunshine Mines go at least a little better. And that makes it worth it.

Stepping in through the swinging doors of the Wizard's Den, it only takes me a few seconds to spot the others huddled in a booth on the side of the tavern, mostly because Rubble's voice carries so far as him and Rin tap their mugs together in cheers. Seeing Rin's stunning deep purple eyes turn to me makes my heart jackhammer in my chest. Her black hair has changed from its usual straight and short look; now, black curls pour onto her shoulders and over her revealing blue dress delicately. She smiles and waves at me. I take a deep breath and walk towards them.

"I made it," I say as I take a seat next to Rubble. "Sorry I'm late."

Sitting across from me now, I catch Rin's eyes looking up and down my exposed chest. Our gazes meet for a brief, awkward second before she says, "No worries, he-man. Nice digs." The smile on her face tells me she's joking around, poking me to test how I handle being teased.