11| SHE HATES IT HERE

─────11| SHE HATES IT HERE─────

Being welcomed by cheers was the last thing Kyla Kain ever expected when she arrived at the Resistance base

Being welcomed by cheers was the last thing Kyla Kain ever expected when she arrived at the Resistance base. She was hated in this place but apparently being a hero and doing something good gave you a free pass for a couple of minutes. When the hatch opened, pilots and members alike were approaching the Falcon, and medics came by quick to take Finn off Chewie's arms and place him in a cart.

With everyone running around, congratulating each other, and taking care of Finn, Kyla was left standing at the top of the hatch, not having the guts nor the energy to even get down. She was drained of all energy and will to live. She looked up at the sky as her vision started to blur, but she swallowed down the tears and looked around at what she once called home.

People hugging each other, cheering, celebrating. Rey and Leia were embracing each other tightly. Kyla smiles a little and blinks. That was supposed to be her and Han. They were supposed to be together.

She then sees Leia Organa looking at her and Kyla shakes her head in denial. It was the final confirmation Leia needed to know that Han Solo was really gone—she felt it but didn't want to believe it. General Organa knows Han and Kyla were close, what was the nature of their relationship, and how close they were, she had a brief idea following a small conversation she had with Han. Leia just knew Han's death was going to crush the young woman.

Rey then says something to Leia, but Kyla is too busy struggling to put on her jacket to notice. Left-arm, then right. She descends the platform, her eyes closed in pain and when they open, Leia Organa and Poe Dameron are standing in front of her.

"Commander Dameron, would you be so kind to escort Ms. Kain to the medic bay." Leia is gone before Kyla can protest. She looks at him and scowls.

"I'm fine." She goes to walk away when Poe grabs her wrist. "I swear I will break your fingers if you don't let go."

Reluctantly, he lets go of her but stands in her way. "Let me help you, Kyla."

She looks away. "I said I'm fine. See," she shows him her arms, "they're covered and fine." Her explanation was a dud when she noticed the blood oozing and covering the gauze and bandages. She glares at her injuries and looks up.

Poe is standing there with a smirk. "Are you going to let me help you now?" Kyla shakes her head and pushes past him in search of her hairy friend who was in need of comfort. They both were.

Chewie sits quietly in the corner and Kyla approaches him. He lifts his head and sees it's her before dropping it. "It's okay, buddy. I'm here." She rests her head against his big arm and sighs. It's going to be bizarre without Han. Chewie moans and caresses her hair.

It's not long before they're standing in the command center, R2-D2 now fully awake showing a hologram of a map, much like the one BB-8 used to show. And it was clear there was a missing piece, almost identical to the one they were so eager to bring back.