Chapter 8

“I think it’s time we made some serious decisions about our music career,” Trixie said on Monday afternoon as Crystal uploaded a new track to their YouTube account. “We go to College this fall. Life is passing us by.”

“Inspiring, Trixie,” Crystal replied. It was the last period of the day: music. And Mr. Collis had allowed them to do their own thing, as he usually did during music lessons since their GPAs were on course.

“Serious decisions like what?” Jamie asked.

“I dunno, but we need to do something.”

Crystal turned away from the computer as the track finished uploading. “It’s good to hear you say that, Trixie. I feel like a slave driver sometimes, since I’m the one who insists on rehearsals and uploading a new song every month.”

Trixie rolled her eyes. “True. I don’t want to encourage you to become more slave driver-ish, but we need to get serious and do more.”

“I have some dates for our tour this summer.” Crystal turned back to the computer and opened her email calendar. Butterflies danced in her stomach whenever she looked at their schedule. She lived for their summer tours. They’d been doing them each summer for three years now, which meant that summers were always busy for Crystal; working two jobs, singing with her band and sometimes modeling, too. But Crystal wouldn’t give up their tours for anything. If her parents weren’t so iron fisted she’d schedule gigs during school semesters, too, but they insisted she didn’t.

“Yeah, churches and stuff,” Trixie said glumly. “Same old. I wish we could support big bands more, like we did for Charmed two years ago.”

Charmed was the hottest girl band in America. Crystal hadn’t believed their luck when they were chosen to travel the country with them for a week, opening three of their shows and entertaining their crowd when they went for breaks. Her grin intensified. “What I’ve got here is much better than that,” Crystal said smugly. She hadn’t believed her eyes when she received the email that morning.

“What is it?” Trixie asked.

“Guess.”

Trixie’s eyes narrowed. “Spit it out, now!”

“Charmed are doing an international tour this summer and REM wants us to be their supporting act.”

“The REM executives emailed you?” Jamie asked.

“Yeah.”

Trixie squealed. Jamie shrieked and did a jig around the room.

“We need to start practicing,” Crystal said. “Their manager wants to meet with us in a few weeks and watch us perform. His PA is going to send details about the meeting later this week.”

Jamie’s jig became a sensuous dance. “Oh, my gosh. We have to be at our best. We have to impress.”

Crystal nodded her agreement. “Permission to be a slave driver over the next few months?”

“Permission granted.” Trixie perched on the edge of the table, wobbling the computer. “This is so cool.”

“What was your idea for getting serious about our music career?” Crystal asked.

“It doesn’t matter now,” Trixie said shrugging her slim shoulders. “This is much cooler.”

“Tell us,” Jamie said, still grinding her hips.

Trixie frowned at her. “What are you doing?”

“Dancing.”

“You look like you’re having a seizure.” Trixie tossed her dark locks, which she’d curled today, and they bounced over the shoulder.