Chapter 7

Luke felt almost giddy with excitement as he sipped from a mug of steaming rooibos tea on Monday morning. Crystal, and a whole host of other talent, would join his forces soon. He didn’t usually watch television at the table, but he was making a concession today. He grabbed the remote and pointed it at the dining room TV which usually played only tranquil scenes designed to create a restful atmosphere for diners.

He switched it to the news. They were still reporting on the president’s assassination. Luke smiled. Everything was coming together as planned.

Luke picked up his mug for another sip. He felt a tickle around the corners of his mind. An image of Deicida driving down the expressway accompanied the sensation. Luke sipped. Deicida was one of the few people that Luke permitted access to his mind. And this was the third time the young man had tried this morning. The other two times Luke had been in bed, which rankled a little. Having such a committed aide had its downsides. Luke set down his tea.

What?

Just got out of bed? came Deicida’s dry response.

Luke decided to ignore the slight. What's so important that you can't use the phone?

I was checking you're available first. I called you a dozen times yesterday and got no response.

Luke had been busy with Senator Hounslow yesterday, but he owed Deicida no explanation. He owed nobody an explanation about anything.

We're moving in on her today, Deicida continued. The groundwork was done over the weekend. Do you want to meet her or would you like the other execs to handle it?

I'll be there. I’ll preside over the meeting.

I'll send you the meeting details.

Treat her well. Luke would rather not scare Crystal. No doubt she already knew about the SOT and had heard horror stories from her parents. She may even remember their meeting, but since she’d been only three years old at the time it was unlikely. Hopefully Deicida would be able to convince her that joining the SOT would be favorable.

Of course. Deicida’s response was dry again.

Luke closed off his mind and the communication ended. Tonight was the night.