Chapter 15

Juda’s quiet introspective presence had a calming effect on Crystal. For most of Saturday she lounged in the den, wearing an oversized T-shirt and jogging pants that he loaned her, watching movies while he worked in his home office. He only emerged twice to eat, and each meal was fruit, raw vegetables and grains. He didn’t finish working until three p.m. for which he apologized profusely, but Crystal understood. He had his own business which probably meant working seven days a week.

After working, he went outside and practiced target shooting in his back yard for an hour with a silenced firearm. He invited her to shoot with him, but the sight of his array of guns was scary. Crystal stayed out of the way. After that, he went to the gym and didn’t return until six.

“Hey,” Crystal sang rising from the couch and meeting him in the hallway. He smelled of fresh air and soap. His damp hair was matted to his head.

He dropped a kiss onto her head and moved to the kitchen.

“I cooked,” Crystal said, following. She tried not to notice how little his tank top covered, but bulging muscles on his arms and, well, everywhere, drew her gaze.

“You cooked?” he asked.

“Is that surprise I detect in your tone?”

“Would you be offended if I said yes?”

“It depends on what kind of surprise it is. If it’s because you’re wondering how a spoiled brat knows how to cook, I’ll be offended because my mom made sure my brother and I were anything but spoiled. If it’s because you’re a single dude who only eats raw food, and a home-cooked meal is a nice change, I’ll be cool with that.”

“Um, okay, my surprise is the latter.”

His quirked brow told her it wasn’t. Crystal swatted his arm and handed him a dish from the cupboard. Then she opened the oven and took out the grilled chicken.”

“Chicken.” Juda nodded his approval. “Protein is good after a workout. Muscle repair, and all that.”

Crystal hadn’t known that, but she waved a hand. “That’s why I made it.” She took out the tray of baked potatoes.

Juda stared at them. His mouth slightly open.

“What?” Crystal asked.

“You’re tempting me,” he said.

“Huh?”

“I’m on a low carb diet.”

“Oh, sorry. I didn’t know.”

Juda groaned and loaded his dish with potatoes. He shot her a glare as he did so and Crystal giggled.

“I take it you’ve already eaten,” he asked as he helped himself to some of the chicken.

“Yes.”

Juda paused and closed his eyes in silent prayer for a moment and then started eating. “You’re in a better mood today,” he told her.

Crystal joined him at the table. “Yeah.” Probably because she wasn’t at home, fielding questions about the SOT from her parents, and surrounded by Caleb’s stuff. His sneakers were still in the hallway. His unfinished architectural project was in the yard. Family pictures dominated the den. She didn’t expect her parents to get rid of every trace of him—that would be awful; but being surrounded by his things and his image only made her pain worse.

“Do your parents know you’re here with me, a guy?”

“They know I’m staying with a friend. I didn’t mention the gender of the friend in my text message.”