「 Competition 」

"In this movie, you and Ren are love rivals?"

"Exciting, right?" Otoya extended the script he was starring in for emphasis. "Ren's playing the second love interest, which he wasn't too eager about, but it'll be such a blast. . . !"

His enthusiasm summoned a smile to your face. "So? Who wins the girl in the end?"

"What's the fun of spoiling that? You should come to the premiere and see for yourself, (First Name). I guarantee it'll be worth it!"

"Considering your guys' talent, I have no doubt it will be."

Haruka was occupied composing back at the Master Course, and had asked you to accompany Otoya to the filming site. She'd visited once before to gather inspiration for her new song and insisted you check it out too. Until the song was finished, you didn't have much to do. As a result, you resembled a freeloader than a professional these last several days.

A jingle roused you from your thoughts. You dug your device from your pocket, ignoring Otoya's nosy stare from over your shoulder.

"Ren's running behind schedule with his modelling gig," you noted, after skimming the text. "He'll be here soon, though."

Otoya stiffened, for whatever reason.

"That was. . . Ren?"

"Yeah."

"You. . . have Ren's number?"

"He asked me for it the other day. Since we've started to work on the song, he deemed it'd be easier to communicate."

That was the plan, anyway. Ironically, you conversed about just about anything else. Nonsensical topics, good morning or night texts, silly updates. . . You'd unwittingly even challenged him to a rematch of that video game from a while back.

Otoya frowned, it stemming into a pout. "Ren's always getting ahead. . . I want your number too, (First Name)! Let's exchange!"

Your heart nearly burst from your chest. "You— you do?"

"I can't?"

It wasn't about can and can't.

When Ren had asked you, you lost all ability to breathe. Even now, being close enough to outright text one another was a dream come true. And now Otoya was asking for the same?

"Of course you can," you said. "I wasn't expecting you to ask, is all. Are you sure? You and Ren are, you know, legitimate pop stars. And my role in helping with the composition of your song is temporary at most. Once I'm finished with this work and move on to helping another group, we'll go back to being—"

Strangers.

You stopped yourself at the final moment.

These dream-like days were transient. Dreams, in essence, were fleeting. Landing a job (albeit temporarily) with the band of your heart, living under the same roof and interacting with them—with Otoya and Ren on a near daily basis—you'd surely used up an entire lifetime's worth of luck these last several weeks. It'd be impudent if you got ahead of yourself and assumed these precious instances would last forever.