Chapter 1

"This is the only way I could keep you out of jail."

"But summer school? I need to make money not hit the books."

"JJ go to summer school or go to jail. Your choice. But take the latter now and tell me or else be at the school tomorrow morning eight a.m.."

"Fine thank you."

I hang up the phone and my head falls back. The chateau without John B has been quiet. Not like we weren't always talking but the lack of people here made it feel too abandoned. The last few hours of June were met by a beautiful sunset, July's heat would soon make us all too delusional to everything. It had been two weeks since the Coast Guard found the Phantom capsized ten miles off the South Carolina coast. Ward Cameron made sure that us Pogues would pay for everything he did. Didn't help that he paid off the DA. Pope and Kie struck a deal to do community service. But when the Judge took one look at my record it wasn't gonna be a walk in the park.

Summer school seemed just as bad as six months in jail though. Also was a lot better than sitting at home drinking with my dad.

The next day....

Just as I got off my bike the door opened and Ms. Gale appeared. "JJ! Come on in baby. Chelesa's waiting for you."

"Chelsea?" I whisper to myself.

Inside the school is Ms. Gale my English teacher from last semester and a girl.

"JJ Maybank meet Chelsea Redfield."

She shakes my hand. "Nice to meet you."

"Chelsea's grandfather owns the marina in the middle of the island. Probably somewhere where you have worked."

"No ma'am."

"Well her grandfather Kenneth Wright has offered you a job. Chelsea here is from a very good private school in Charlotte. A well-mannered girl educated way above anyone that attends this school or even that precious Kook Academy. She will be working with you both at the marina and with your education. You will meet me every Monday morning to pick up your schoolwork and you will meet me every Friday at four p.m. Instead of wasting away in a classroom this will be a hands on five weeks of school and eight weeks of work. Mess up and you'll be reported to the judge. Got it?"

"Yes ma'am."

Ms. Gale hands me a red folder and walks out the door.

"You best follow her JJ."

I turn on my heels and book it after Chelsea.

"It's the marina with the blue naval flags out front, says Wright's Marina. Nine a.m. every day but Friday, Friday we work earlier in the day and get out earlier. We get out at five every other day. We'll spend afternoons on your schoolwork. Your paycheck will be paid under the table. Questions?"

"Yeah, how old are you? How is this happening?"

"I'm seventeen. Ms. Gale doesn't want to waste her summer in school. My granddad owed her a favor which unfortunately was to watch you because he's good at keeping troublemakers out of trouble. I'm roped in because I'm the smart one of the family."

She got into her Jeep and waved her arm at me. "Getting in?"

I climbed in and she took off like a maniac. "What's the job?"

"We'll run boats, parts, fill up gas tanks. If your any good you may go to the sales floor, but I doubt that. First run of the day is to Dr. Thornton. Don't worry though I'll handle the drop off I just need you to pick me up after. I know what you did to her boat."

I laughed.

That's what Pope did.

I was just covering for him.

Chelsea pulls into Wright's Marina and an old man was waiting for us.

"Morning baby." Chelsea hugs him. "Morning JJ."

"Sir." I shake his hand.

"I've got a Wright's shirt for you. Dr. Thornton is waiting for you, she's already called twice looking for her precious sport car. I mean boat." The old man laughs.

The girl bounces as she goes inside an office, then she comes out with a clipboard and keys.

"I'll take the Thornton's Malibu and you follow with the Mako. I'd hang off to the side for five minutes while I speak with the Doctor."

I nodded in agreement and got in the boat.

Chelesa took off and I followed her to the Kook side of the island. It was Monday morning and people weren't working, they were sitting on their docks drinking and waiting for something to happen.

I cut the engine when Chelsea idled in next to a waiting Topper and Mama Topper. She handed Mama Topper the clip board and I could faintly hear the conversation.

"Maybe you'll be more responsible this time huh? Chelsea thank you very much for dropping it off. Topper needs boat lessons again please have your grandfather set them up."

"Mom I don't." Topper walked away and then came back.

Chelsea took the clipboard back. Mama Topper slipped away from Chelsea and Topper. I started to move in and heard something from Topper. "How bout I take you on a date?" She turned around and waved at me. "Hanging out with Pogues again? Really? When will you learn that they offer nothing to society?"

"When you get a job without your mommy's help. Why would I hang out with a bunch of entitled alcoholic teenagers like you? And Topper, did you loss your manners? Mommy stop caring when you lost Sarah?" Chelsea hopped into the boat flipping Topper off.

"That was the hottest thing I've seen in a while."

"The kid bothers me to no end. Sarah my friend since childhood dated that and I still don't know why."

"You talk like she's still alive."

"Because she is. Next stop is Heyward's for parts drop off."

What the hell does 'she is' mean?