Chapter 16

Chelsea was right.

There I said it.

When I was rattling around the idea of getting my assignments done now rather than later seemed like the better idea. Pope and Kie had the navigation for the day. While Chelsea and I kept debating. She was really keen on us debating every book.

Mr. Wright told me that her favorite book was Pride and Prejudice so I read that even before we left. I wanted to be able to debate something she liked rather than let her do research on what I wanted to debate.

Our only argument was whether or not we thought that Elizabeth Bennet was an introvert or extrovert and was she good enough for Darcy.

Both of us were on the same side.

Ms. Bennet was an extrovert that was good for her introvert of a husband.

I had finished writing my last paper as we approached her grandma's house around midnight.

Before we even docked Chelsea had us all gathered to tell us about her grandma.

"She's out there. Crazy, hippie, pot smoking grandma. Don't call her Mrs. Wright-she divorced my grandpa, don't call her ma'am. Just call her Indy. Also her wife's name is Doris."

"Doris as in Day?"

"Yes Pope. A woman who is almost a hundred is married to her grandmother. Shut up." Kie slaps Pope upside the head.

As we approached the dock two little women started waving at us.

"Hello everyone!"

Chelsea just jumped off the boat and onto the dock to hug these little women. Pope and I got the boat tethered to the dock while Kie got out the bags.

"Showers for everyone. Are y'all hungry for a hot meal?"

"Yes please." Everyone said at once.

The two woman helped grab our stuff and we walked back to the house.

"Did y'all have a bad time sailing down here?"

"Not really."

"Storms coming in, in a few hours. Glad Ken sent y'all sooner rather than later."

Doris and Indy made us shrimp scampi while each of us took turns taking a shower. They went on and on about Chelsea being so smart. How she was so smart that she never really had a school that could teach her anything. 

I at least knew all that already from the conversations we had. 

Indy said that she missed the Outer Banks but was glad to be in a warmer climate all year round. Not that the Outer Banks ever got really cold like up North. Indy said that the only reason she left was because Aster left. Aster, I remembered was Chelsea's mom.

While Chelsea was in the shower, Indy told us all about Aster. Smart like Chelsea, just as beautiful. Indy said they have the same honey gold eyes and honey colored hair. Also that if Aster were still alive and was standing next to Chelsea we wouldn't know who was who. Doris added in stories about Chelsea being the brave one in their family. How she was the one that people leaned on even as a child. When Indy came out and said who she was Chelsea was the first person behind Ken to back her grandma. When Aster was dying everyone walked on eggshells but Chelsea, Chelsea didn't want her mom to feel any different. So Chelsea treated her as if she wasn't dying. Chelsea was the first person in the room and the last to leave while Aster took her last breaths.

Everything they said even the way that Indy talked about her daughter and granddaughter was like listening the most beautiful poem written.

Just as Indy was finished talking about Chelsea she came out of the bathroom.

"What?"

I looked around at everyone and we all had the same look.

"Nothing baby. Just telling your friends about how good of a kid you are. I think y'all should get some sleep because tomorrow we're going over your plan."

Indy and Doris showed us to the two guest rooms.

Pope and I had to share a pullout couch while the girls got to have bunk beds. I was jealous I'd have to share a bed rather than not being able to be in one of those bunk beds.

The next morning or should I say afternoon Pope and I got up to join the girls. Who were all out back cropping vegetables and grilling. They were having a good time chatting too.

"I've had the boys down the street look at the Trawler. They filled her up and put some work into the generator. Y'all should be able to get back up to North Carolina no problem." Doris said to me and Pope.

"You two! Breakfast is going to be steaks with scallops and some fresh vegetables out of my garden." Doris says.

Everyone was having a good time for a short while. After lunch was put away and the dishes were as well we got down to business.

"Who's on probation?"

Pope, Kie and I raised our hands.

"Then you are not going into public. Chelsea, do John and Sarah know you looking at you like this?"

"Pink hair and crazy? No. Sarah last saw me with brunette hair. John last saw me when I was seven so I doubt that he remembers me."

"You don't know that. Doris call George get him over here to get Chelsea a wig. Pope I want you to stay on the boat incase we need to jump into action." Before Indy could continue Kie interrupted.

"I'll stay with Pope."

"I'll go with Chelsea encase she needs muscle."

"Boy I could take you out with my hands."

I bet she could.

"I'll be the getaway driver then."

"Better."

With the plan set in motion we were off to our stations. I was filling up the car with this we'd need to get John and Sarah to safety. Pope was being extra with adding random things. Kie was on weather duty making sure we'd be able to get back up the coast. She also had the job of getting us a marina spot for the overnight. Indy and Doris went out to get new clothes so we'd look like other people when we arrived back in North Carolina. And Chelsea sat still for like four hours while this dude put different wigs on her head.

It was fascinating to watch her sit so still for so long and only say a few words every few hours. She barely sat as quiet in everyday life. But then again with all that information that rattled her brain I bet she has to vent it sometimes.

Indy and Doris picked out the most ridiculous costumes for us all. The three girls all got dresses that were not something they'd pick. Pope, John and I all got prep boy outfits. Everyone took their new disguise and deposited them into their bags.

Dinner was tacos from a place down the street. We all could feel the anxiety building inside of us. No one talked as we ate, as we went to bed and as we rose the next morning.

I barely slept because of my anxious state. So I went over the plan in my head about three times every hour.

1) Pope and Kie will be docked on a dock that Indy knows in Miami

2) Chelsea and I will drive to the city hall early in the morning

3) Get John B and Sarah

4) Meet Doris who will be waiting in the other car to switch

5) Get back to North Carolina either on water or by car

At six am it was time to go.