Ch 2:4

"You know, I was listening that night."

Crystal paused in the middle of her training. Her arms were outstretched in front of and between her current trainer. Crystal narrowed her eyes at Jasmine." What do you mean by that?"
"You weren't being very quiet, you know. Someone was in that room other than you and Lolli. And I'd like to know who," Jasmine explained.
"Why didn't you just walk in?"
Jasmine grinned, showing off her small fangs." You see, I have evidence that the person you were with is actually really dangerous. Maxwell was also hiding their existence."
Crystal thought back to the one time she saw the scientist.

She was definitely seclusive and always wore a scowl. Maxwell never stayed with a group than she had to, either. Then she thought back to last night. After eating an assortment of junk food, Iowa had jumped out the window, despite that being a three floor drop.
"Have you told my Daddy yet?" Crystal asked.
"No, I haven't."
"And why not?"
"Because I need to figure out for myself who Maxwell really is."
Crystal eyed her teacher and supposed protector.
"Do you have anything you could tell me, Princess?"
"They've got a Spanish accent, for some reason." Jasmine made a face.
"There wasn't a lot of people who spoke it, but I know what the accent sounds like," Crystal continued.
"So it's a human thing, okay." Jasmine cupped her chin with her fingers and thought silently.

After a moment of Crystal staring at her, she waved her hand dismissively." We're done for today. You don't need me to tell you if your hand is glowing," Jasmine said. Then, Crystal took her words as a reason to leave the room.

Crystal searched the castle for Lolli. Unsurprisingly, she was in the dining hall eating a bowl of fruit. Lolli beamed at the first sign of Crystal's presence and waved her over." Do you want some?" Lolli asked. Instead of answering, Crystal popped a berry into her mouth." Lolli, who was that last night?"
"That was Iowa, my friend!"
"Like the state?"
Lolli nodded.
"Yeah, but where did they come from?"
"I don't really know. I saw Iowa fall from Miss Maxwell's ceiling one time, though!" Lolli pointed to her own ceiling, in case Crystal didn't fully understand. Crystal rolled her eyes.
"So you basically know nothing?"
"I guess not," Lolli frowned," but Iowa also can make pretty things out of ice. I saw a big ice butterfly outside my window."
Crystal didn't know what to do with the information, but it was something. She had vaguely remembered hearing some guards complaining about how cold it had been one night. They were the night shift ones heading home in the early morning. Perhaps Iowa had something to do with it?
"That would explain how they got in," Crystal mumbled out loud.
"What are you thinking about? Can I help?"
"Yeah, you can. If you see Iowa again, wake me up. I want to talk to them again."
"Okay, we can all be friends!"