Ch 3:2

After reading the reaper's section, Lolli insisted on looking for fairies and elves in the book. Instead, Crystal closed the book and told her," we can read about them later." Lolli took that as a message to leave and did so. Crystal left the room herself to get something to eat.

Soon, the sun had set and Crystal had exhausted what she could do for the day. Her constant training without any profit was tiring enough to let her sleep. After a shower and getting ready to sleep, Crystal returned to her room. Then, she fell asleep.

With no strangers breaking into her room, Crystal had slept soundly the whole night. In fact, she slept fine for many nights without anyone appearing. Apparently, Iowa never returned. Or Lolli just wasn't telling her. Everyday, Jasmine would watch her train without results then vanish with Maxwell into the forest.

Finally, Crystal's curiosity got the best of her. After another day of training, Crystal watched, once more, her trainer walk away with a friend. Only this time, she trailed them a small distance away. As usual, they entered the forest. Crystal could her them talking to each other. Jasmine sounded impatient about something, but Crystal wasn't able to completely hear. Maxwell's low voice was impossible to hear. Suddenly, the two stopped. Maxwell said one more thing before Jasmine blurted "where?" Maxwell elbowed Jasmine and pointed ahead. She then began running.

It was so sudden, Crystal didn't realize she was being left behind. She gave up on being sneaky and ran full speed to catch up. Somewhere in front of her, she heard a loud bang and Maxwell shouting that she "got her." Crystal hid behind a tree as the two woman huddled above a body. Crystal recognized the clothing too hot for the current weather. Maxwell must have shot Iowa with a weapon she currently couldn't see.

"What, is this your Dad? He looks pretty small," Jasmine noted.
"No you fool! This is my escaped experiment."
"You hurt me, Maxie." Jasmine poked the limp body that laid on it's stomach." So this is really him."
"Yes, now help me bring her to my laboratory."
"Is that really okay? He looks rather... human."
"No, she isn't a human. Not anymore, at the very least."
"I don't think I want to touch him. He feels cold and odd."
"For crying out loud, Jasmine!"

Crystal held back a snicker with her hand. Apparently, Maxwell found Jasmine as irritating as she did. Then, she heard something rustle the bushes behind her. A brief  flash of yellow appeared in front of her. She whipped back around to follow it and found a man had appeared behind her. Slowly, her eyes trailed his lanky body and met his glowing yellow eyes. Before she could scream, the man covered her mouth and squeezed her throat. When Crystal blinked, Maxwell and Jasmine were no longer in front of her. Panicked, she glanced around what she could see. It must have been a different part of the forest. But how?