Chapter Twenty One

" The truth is a matter of circumstance, it's not all things to all people all the time..."

"That's a tough way to live."

"It's a good way not to die though."

~*~*~*~

Joint Counter Terrorist Centre. Berlin, Germany. May 2016.

The flight from Bucharest to Berlin was quick. Before entering the plane, your S.H.I.E.L.D. Tactical Suit was taken from you. One of the female GSG-9 agents was kind enough to let you grab your jacket out of your laptop bag so you wouldn't be walking around in just a tank top and jeans, after it was checked thoroughly for weapons and communication devices first. You felt naked without your gun on your ankle or tucked into your waistband, after months of not going anywhere without them.

You had only caught glimpses of Bucky upon boarding and leaving the plane. They had him strapped to a chair with metal restraints across his chest and arms. The chair was in a thick glass-enclosed pod that rolled on its own, operated by remote control. The agents loaded him into another armored truck before placing you, Sam, Steve, and T'Challa into a black prisoner transport van. With a police escort, you formed a large convoy as you traveled from the airport to the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre. You dozed off halfway there, your head resting against the window. The events of the morning and three days of minimal sleep catching up with you.

You woke to T'Challa explaining the Wakandan warrior mantle of The Black Panther. "Now because your friend murdered my father, I also wear the mantle of king." So that's why he had been after Bucky. King T'Chaka was killed in the bombing. T'Challa wanted vengeance. "So I ask you...as both warrior and king...how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?"

"As long as I am around, you won't even get near him, motănel," (little tomcat), you stated, sitting up as you ran your hand through your hair.

The rest of the ride to the JCTC facility was silent. The convoy dipped into an underground loading bay, coming to a stop in front of a small group of people waiting by the entrance. You recognized one of them as Agent 13, Sharon Carter; she was standing next to a diminutive gray-haired man and surrounded by armed guards.

As you exited the vehicle, you caught sight of the prison pod. You moved toward it. You knew Bucky didn't like small enclosed spaces; he told you once they reminded him of HYDRA's cryo-freeze chamber. You wanted to check to see if he was alright. You were blocked by the agents that surrounded the pod.

"Can I please just see him?" you asked, craning your neck to look over their shoulders.

The agents were silent. They didn't even look your way. You made an attempt to move past them. One of them shoved you backward. You moved to make another attempt, but Steve grabbed your upper arm. You looked at him, eyes narrowed. He shook his head.

"That man there is the only family we have left," you loudly addressed the guards, gesturing to yourself and then to Steve. "Do you understand me?! You harm him in any way...and I mean in any way...I will personally make your life a living hell."

You looked past the agents to Bucky, who was now looking at you after seeing the commotion. "Te iubesc," (I love you.) you called to him.

He gave you a small sad smile, "Ştiu." (I know.)

Steve put his hand on the small of your back, you allowed him to lead you away, toward the tense welcoming committee.

"Pretty sure threatening an international joint task force member is all kinds of illegal," Sam said as you moved to walk beside him.