Six

Contessina

I was in awe but I tried not to be.

I tried to hide my expressions as we made our way across the house- mansion, estate. I had no idea what to call it. Or I did but I didn't want to assume, nothing good came out of it, I should know.

Every inch of this house was beautiful, from the marble floors to the ceiling and engraved edges. Lights that hung against the wall, lighting up the stairs and hallways as I followed Juliette across to my room, still dressed with last night's dress- an embarrassment sitting in my stomach because even the staff was dressed well and I had knots in my hair- but I shouldn’t care because I was leaving in the first opportunity I got.

Reaching the landing of the second floor, Juliette's voice was soft but strong, her steps slow, keys clinking against each other the further we went in, leaving Senator Astor behind without a second glance. "The house has been a part of the Astor family for generations," Juliette says, turning to see me still following, by force. I mean it was either following this woman who told me she'd show me around or staying in the foyer next to Senator Astor and that was a big fat no. I'd take up leaving with a person who I didn't know and was a woman rather than breathing in any more air that prick surrounded.

Listening to Juliette- an old woman around fifty or so years with darkish brown hair and round eyes- I didn't say anything. Not wanting to talk because I didn't know her, I didn't know this place nor would I be staying here. All I needed was a plan, to talk to Antonio, to figure out what exactly Senator Astor had on my father and leave. But for now, I'd just pretend I was okay with this idiotic arrangement.

"It was remodeled a time ago by Mr. Astor- Matteo's father," she clarified, nodding at the windows. "Mrs. Astor loved natural light and Mr. Astor could not say no to his wife so he had new windows installed for her."

I nodded, seeming uninterested but I was. The love one must have to remodel a whole estate just because one asked, truly something I knew I wouldn't ever have if I stayed here any longer. I wondered if Senator Astors parents lived here, I doubted because why would an adult, with a whole profession, live with his parents? But still I wondered because if they did, maybe I could get to talk to them about what their son was doing- which was illegal- and make them force their sons hand away from me. Maybe to my father it was normal but to Senator Astor? I was sure he didn't need to resort to buying a wife, not if he had money, power and looks, not that I was paying attention. 

Continuing my walk slightly behind her, we turned, lights illuminating the hallway as we made our way down the hallway, her talking about the house as I listened and looked around me, memorizing the way we took so I wouldn't get lost. Because in all honesty, I think I was already lost. This place was huge, dark and very much cold, like that man. Ugh.

I should stop that- thinking about him. But I couldn't, not in this place. Not when I was still dazed from last night to this morning, trying hard to understand because it was all happening too fast. From the engagement to the moving, something that I didn't like because maybe everyone said different things about me but I didn't want people to get the wrong idea. 

I had to stop abruptly, my thoughts scattering as we came to a halt in front of a door, Juliette smiling at me before she opened the door, "Mr. Astor had us prepare the master bedroom for you-" she motioned for me to step inside and I didn’t, not trusting this woman - "It's been cleaned but he says you are welcome to have new furniture brought in or painted. Whatever to make you feel more comfortable,” she adds, walking in as if knowing what I was thinking.