.Surprises.

.Chapter 3 : Surprises : Year 1.

Chapter 3 : Surprises : Year 1

~*~

The door to the potions classroom creaked and the entire class turned to the back of the room. Even Professor Snape paused his teaching. A little face peeked into the room and then a body followed. First year, Aria Rivers, hoisted her bag up her shoulder and closed the door silently behind her.

"I'm terribly sorry to interrupt, sir," Aria apologize,

"Did you get your schedule figured out?" Snape asked in his usual harsh voice.

"Yes, sir."

"Good, now sit next to Weasley and pull out your new textbook. Open to page twenty three. I don't want you wasting any time."

Without another word, Aria did as her professor asked and sat near the back of the room, taking out her textbook and opening to the correct page. Her new partner next to her looked straight at her, their eyes wide open.

"Ria?" he asked.

Aria coughed slightly and pulled out a spare piece of parchment.

"What are you doing here?"

"I was moved classes," she told him. "Now don't talk. I'm behind and I'm trying to listen."

George looked away from Aria and to the front, completely stunned. When Professor Snape had told him that he was going to, eventually, get a new potions partner, this is not what he thought he meant. The week previous, Aria was in a class below with the other first years, and now, here she was, on a Wednesday morning, in their class. How much did they have to change around her schedule? It had to have worked if she said they had fixed everything, right? Was she in any other higher classes? George wanted to ask her all these things, and yet he couldn't because Aria was looking up the board intently, copying down a couple notes and writing a couple things in her textbook. He couldn't just interrupt what she was learning.

"Mr. Weasley!" Snape snarled, looking directly at George and drawing his mind away from Aria and back to the class. "What did I just say?"

"No idea, sir," George said simply, looking down at his lap.

"Well, perhaps if you weren't making googly eyes at Ms. Rivers, we wouldn't have a problem then, would we?"

"No, sir."

"Ten points from Gryffindor. Now, pay attention Weasley. All of you grab your ingredients and begin working. I want this potion finished by the end of the class, is that understood?"

A chorus of 'yes's filled the dungeon.

"Ms. Rivers, please fill Mr. Weasley in on what he has missed. I expect your potion to come top, and if it is not, extra homework for you."

Aria turned to George as she stood, giving him a harsh glare, and walked over to the cabinets to grab supplies. George stood quickly as well, following at her heels.