Part Six

Prince Kliff is enjoying the compliments and praises of his people. Every unmarried man present at the celebration was envious of him. His betrothed happened to be the most beautiful lady at the kingdom.

They were introduced when he was ten years old. He was studying his history lessons with his historian tutor in his study room when the Highest Councilor in Royal Court visited with the King, his father.  At first, Kliff thought that they will just talk on how his study is progressing. The councilor once told him that “Being the next heir to the throne, you must gain knowledge more than anyone else. Ignorance of a leader can lead to chaos.” After that, the councilor sometimes visits and monitors his studies.

The historian, whom is also the prince’s tutor, gave his respect to the King and councilor.

“How is your studies, son?” the king asked as he approached.

“The usual Father” Kliff replied, he was not accustomed to calling his father “Your Highness”. His father is a very busy man, he rarely see him around the palace. Visiting him means something important will be discussed.

“What made you brought here, Father?” Kliff asked.

“Your betroth.” his father replied in a firm voice.

“What?” Kliff heard his father right but he wants to be sure.

“Your betroth My Lord” the councilor repeated to him. Then he called someone from behind, a young girl approached them.

“My Lord, it’s I and my family’s honor to introduced you my beloved daughter, Lady Azura Eranthe as your betrothed.”

The young girl whom just eight years old gave her courtesy gracefully, she turned to be the most known beautiful lady in Kraine kingdom. Many young noble men from different kingdoms shown interest but no one dared to confess their love for it was also well-known that she was already engaged to the prince. However, marriage didn’t ever occur to Kliff, he was young, handsome, and carefree. He grew up inside the palace but he rarely meet his father due to diplomatic affairs and royal obligations while his mother was busy attending the royal household and palace activities. His mother sometimes meets and provides him attention but left the caring to the governesses because his mother was too occupied of his baby sister’s health condition.

It suddenly struck his thought; if his sister is here…then the stranger should be here too. He may not totally admit to himself but he was jealous of her because his sister and the stranger were almost inseparable. He looked around; he noticed that Cherie was not around. He suddenly felt goose bumps. 

He went to approached Driss whom was dancing with his sweetheart at the dance floor. The young knight was obviously enjoying the romantic moment with his childhood sweetheart but was annoyed when someone suddenly taps his shoulder.

“My Lord!” Driss addressed in apologetic tone.

“Where is Cherie?”

“Oh...she was dancing with…” he looked around for the princess but didn’t find her.

The crowd started to get distract by the prince sudden behavior; the conversation at the center of the dance hall attracts the crowd’s attention too.

“Where is my sister?” Kliff asked again but in a harsh tone. Driss didn’t know what to say nor could excuse himself; he was commanded to watched and ensured princess’ safety.

“Forgive me, My Lord” a middle-aged woman interrupted their conversation “do you mean the young lady whom dancing with the masked lad?”

“Did you see her? Where?” Kliff asked her.